Just Moved Luke Scott & Lohse for Kuroda - Good Sell High?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Just Moved Luke Scott & Lohse for Kuroda - Good Sell High??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Moved Luke Scott & Lohse for Kuroda - Good Sell High??

Postby mm92280 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 am

I've been tweaking my roster in my 20 team H2H keeper league and am always looking for ways to improve my team, as any good owner does. One thing that I've been focused on recently is moving Kyle Lohse, who has started hot but is someone that I don't think is likely to repeat his quality numbers from last year. Likewise, I was somewhat overloaded in the outfield, as I have Carlos Gonzalez, Cespedes, Alex Gordon, Reimold, Luke Scott, Jordan Schafer and Lucas Duda (I also have Lorenzo Cain, who is on the DL for the next 4 weeks or so). Anyway, I threw some feelers out to the other owners in my league to see if I could turn Lohse + an outfielder into a starting pitcher that was a clear upgrade on Lohse. I ended up getting an offer accepted of Lohse + Luke Scott for Hiroki Kuroda. I will say that I've been very pleasantly surprised by what Lohse has given my team this month and I recognize that he pitched well for most of last season (he fell off in the latter part of the season) and I did get Luke Scott out of my league's free agent pool and I've liked the cheap power, RBIs and OPS that he's given me. However, he does sit against lefties, so he isn't a true everyday player and the Rays have signed Hideki Matsui (why?) and it seems a given that he will come up at some point and steal DH at bats, threatening Scott's production.

So, I felt like this was the right time to get the deal done. I know Kuroda has had some rocky moments early on, as he's alternated good and bad starts thus far. I am not expecting a repeat of previous seasons' low 3s ERA or 1.15-1.20 WHIP but I am not too far offbase in thinking he should still have an ERA below 4.00 (maybe 3.80?) and 15 or 16 wins as a distinct possibility? What do you guys think? I liked it as a sell-high on both Lohse and Scott but, just as importantly, I think that Kuroda also could give me the ability to possibly move a starter like Jaime Garcia to help me upgrade at 3B or SS, both of which have been problem areas thus far (obviously with Youkilis and Yunel Escobar way underperforming).

Just FYI, my league counts AVG, R, HR, RBI, SB, OPS and Assists and for pitching counts Wins, ERA, WHIP, K, CG, Holds, and Saves.

Here is how my team looks before the trade:

C: C. Santana (C, 1B)
1B: Adam Dunn (1B)
2B: B. Zobrist (2B, RF)
SS: Y. Escobar (SS)
3B: K. Youkilis (3B)
LF: A. Gordon (LF)
CF: Y. Cespedes (CF)
RF: C. Gonzalez (RF, CF, LF)
Util: N. Reimold (LF)
Util: L. Scott (LF)
Bn: L. Duda (RF)
Bn: J. Schafer (CF)
Bn: L. Cain (RF) - DL

SP: C. Hamels
SP: G. Gonzalez
SP: J. Garcia
SP: K. Lohse
SP: AJ Burnett
SP: K. Drabek
SP: M. Estrada

RP: D. Storen (DL)
RP: S. Casilla
RP: A. Reed
RP: A. Cashner
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just Moved Luke Scott & Lohse for Kuroda - Good Sell Hig

Postby smoovethug » Tue May 01, 2012 1:57 am

I'm not a huge Kuroda fan but he's the best player in this deal.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions