Who are the next rookies due up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the next rookies due up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are the next rookies due up?

Postby bayside » Wed May 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Well i pulled the trigger on Bauer. After remembering that i was actually rostering Gregor Blanco it was pretty easy.
If Im looking at his schedule correctly he should make his 2nd AAA start tonight?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Odorizzi earns a mid/late season callup from the Royals. He has had a very nice start to the season.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby wazzeus » Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Rizzo 2-for-4 today with his 16th homer and two more RBI. Now batting .355.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 pm

this from rotoworld.com on Rizzo.
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer insists that Anthony Rizzo's development -- and not his free agent/arbitration clock -- will dictate the timing of a promotion from Triple-A Iowa.
"Patience is the key driver in our decision making," explained Hoyer. "Last year the situation was nearly identical — struggling offense and Rizzo putting up huge numbers in Tucson. Clearly I made the wrong decision in bringing him up too early. His development was not complete.'' Rizzo is hitting .352/.418/.697 with 15 home runs, 42 RBI and a 1.115 OPS over 43 games at the Triple-A level this year, but Hoyer doesn't want to make the same mistake twice. Of course, his service clock certainly plays a part, as well. We recently heard that Rizzo may possibly join the Cubs when they need a designated hitter for six interleague road games next month, but calling him up that early and keeping him in the majors for the rest of the year would risk giving up a year of team control.

not sure he's coming up anytime soon. sounds like they don't want to make the same mistake again so much that they would actually leave him down there longer than what you would think.

what time are we thinking? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? mid to late June? longer?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby BigZ38 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:33 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:this from rotoworld.com on Rizzo.
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer insists that Anthony Rizzo's development -- and not his free agent/arbitration clock -- will dictate the timing of a promotion from Triple-A Iowa.
"Patience is the key driver in our decision making," explained Hoyer. "Last year the situation was nearly identical — struggling offense and Rizzo putting up huge numbers in Tucson. Clearly I made the wrong decision in bringing him up too early. His development was not complete.'' Rizzo is hitting .352/.418/.697 with 15 home runs, 42 RBI and a 1.115 OPS over 43 games at the Triple-A level this year, but Hoyer doesn't want to make the same mistake twice. Of course, his service clock certainly plays a part, as well. We recently heard that Rizzo may possibly join the Cubs when they need a designated hitter for six interleague road games next month, but calling him up that early and keeping him in the majors for the rest of the year would risk giving up a year of team control.

not sure he's coming up anytime soon. sounds like they don't want to make the same mistake again so much that they would actually leave him down there longer than what you would think.

The years of control thing is stupid. If he is any good, they'll lock him up long term before that comes into play. Cubs are a major market team with the ability to spend big.

He's down in the minors because he crapped the bed in the bigs last year.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby wazzeus » Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 am

SpecialFNK wrote:not sure he's coming up anytime soon. sounds like they don't want to make the same mistake again so much that they would actually leave him down there longer than what you would think.

Reports out of Chicago say he'll be up by the time the Cubs need a DH in interleague play. No way will they keep him down into July.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby clarkw267 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:22 am

They need to get Rizzo up ASAP. Get Soriano's 50 year old azz out of the lineup and transition LaHair to the OF during Interleague play.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby converge241 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:08 am

clarkw267 wrote:They need to get Rizzo up ASAP. Get Soriano's 50 year old azz out of the lineup and transition LaHair to the OF during Interleague play.

I'm sure plenty of teams would take Soriano if the Cubs would do a Vernon Wells and eat almost all of it

Lahair has been limited to pinch hitting lately due to his struggles after his hot start I say bring up Rizzo and bring up JACKSON for the OF and let the youth of the team start to at least gel together for a nice core for eventual attempt to contend. I think theres (intangible/not proveable) value in letting these kids grow together in the bigs while you are rebuilding

Thoguh to be fair I did not bring up jacksons current milb stats before saying that
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 102)

Postby sfjb » Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Cooper just up in TOR. Worth an add?
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:23 pm

sfjb wrote:Cooper just up in TOR. Worth an add?
Probably just deeper leagues or leagues where your team is awful. Is he competing with anyone other than Thames for AB's at 1B/DH (E6 is playing somewhere)? Will he be platooned?

I did grab him in one league since I don't have a 1Bman and I'm starting Napoli there right now. what a mess.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers