Who are the next rookies due up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the next rookies due up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are the next rookies due up?

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Straily is a -135 favorite in his ML Debut against the Blue Jays. Vegas knows what's up.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mt99808 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:28 am

Why isn't Straily in yahoo yet?
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:21 pm

HighHeater wrote:I'm going all in on Straily as well, doing what he has done in AA and AAA none the less in the freaking hitter paradise of all known as "The Pacific Coast League" ... i'll gladly take that kid over Olt in Redraft and Keepers. It's not that I do not like Olt.... quite the opposite i just view Olt as a ceiling of .270 30hr type with a lot of k's.... Straily has more to me. If history has told us anything its prospect pundits are always way to slow or timid to buy into a guy like Straily but I have watched enough of him, read the positive reviews and scouting reports to have faith in him going forward and in Oakland no doubt.

Wow, I wasn't aware he was pitching in the PCL. That's even more impressive...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby KingOfSports » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Straily has looked good through 3 innings vs. the Jays. Only 1 strikeout, but only 2 hits and one walk.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HighHeater » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:38 am

KingOfSports wrote:Straily has looked good through 3 innings vs. the Jays. Only 1 strikeout, but only 2 hits and one walk.

Finished: 6ip 5h 1r 1bb 5k

Few thoughts after watching the game, Strailys command was off in the first inning and im going to chalk it up to big league debut butter flys. He really settled in after that and looked very impressive. That change-up he throws has got to be plus, it is definetly his swing and miss and he locates it well. This is just my opinion but I think his developent with it really made the difference in what we see today. Hes apparently tried 15 variations of grips for it and has found one that clicks for him. Absolutely beautiful running side tail end sink on it everytime he through it. His heater has good tail end sink as well which is another plus, was sitting mainly 90-91 saw a few 92 & 94 once so his velo is very maintainable.

Theres going to be a lot of finger pointing and "i told you so" next year between BA/Goldstein/KLaw prospect pundits.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:21 am

Mike Olt in Texas. how much is he worth anyway? he is likely to only see action against LH pitching? and even then be replaced for defense last in the game?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:20 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Mike Olt in Texas. how much is he worth anyway? he is likely to only see action against LH pitching? and even then be replaced for defense last in the game?

He's supposed to be a plus defender so I don't think that defensive replacement would be a problem.

Also, I don't know why the rangers wouldn't play him against righties.

vs Left 92 AB .272 Avg, 8 HR, 24 RBI, .422 OBP
vs Right 262 AB .294 Avg, 20 HR, 58 RBI, .388 OBP
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:53 am

I'm going by what I read at rotoworld.
Rangers manager Ron Washington said Thursday that Mike Olt will mainly see at-bats at first base and designated hitter against left-handed pitching.
He could also see some playing time at third base if Adrian Beltre needs a day off or gets a day at designated hitter, but that probably won't happen very often. While Olt is a very intriguing prospect, strictly seeing at-bats against left-handed pitching will limit his fantasy value. Perhaps Washington will work him into the lineup against righties if he starts out hot, but he's mostly worth a look in AL-only and deeper mixed formats for now.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby The_Show » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:35 pm

The Cubs will promote outfield prospect Brett Jackson and infield prospect Josh Vitters from Triple-A Iowa.

They're expected to meet the team in Los Angeles, though it's not clear if they'll be activated in time for Sunday's game or if the Cubs will wait until Monday in San Diego. Jackson, who is the more highly regarded prospect of the two, has batted .256/.338/.479 with 15 homers and 27 steals at Triple-A Iowa this season. He strikes out way too much, but his power/speed combo is intriguing. Vitters has put up a .304/.356/.513 batting line with 17 homers at the same level. It's doubtful the Cubs would promote them unless they planned to play them every day, so expect Jackson to be in center field and Vitters to be at third base regularly.

Add them to the list of called-up prospects (with Olt and Straily) this past week.

Come on Royals, get with it. :-C
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby Gags Sports » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Is Jackson and/or Vitters must adds in 12 team mixed leagues? From what I read, it sounds like Jackson will play almost every day, but I'm not sure about Vitters. Who is the better add based on playing time and/or ceiling for the next two months?

Separate question: How do you rate these four for impact the next two months?

Olt
Straily
Jackson
Vitters
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers