Who are the next rookies due up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the next rookies due up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are the next rookies due up?

Postby Super Manny » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:15 pm

If you're a Yahoo user having to sacrifice a high waiver claim, who's the better pickup here: Olt or Straily...?

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Super Manny wrote:If you're a Yahoo user having to sacrifice a high waiver claim, who's the better pickup here: Olt or Straily...?

Olt.

- Straily wasn't on most anybody's radar as far as I could tell.
- Hitting is almost always a better bet than pitching.
- AL West hitters.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Super Manny wrote:If you're a Yahoo user having to sacrifice a high waiver claim, who's the better pickup here: Olt or Straily...?
It depends on what you need, really. Olt could be relegated to playing part-time, whereas Straily may very well get his turn in the rotation from now til October. Here's my piece on Straily from today's CV Thread:
bigh0rt wrote:Dan Straily, OAK -- Dan Straily has set both AA and AAA on fire this year, posting a K/9 over 11 at each stop, a full 2 K/9 higher than anything he had ever shown before. What's that say to me? He's doing something different this year, and it's working. Whether it's a new pitch or newly found location, or whatever it is, it's turned him into a strikeout machine that has dominated minor league hitting without walking the ballpark. That's a recipe I love. 2.57 FIP in 85.1 AA innings before being promoted to AAA where he's posted a 2.20 FIP over 53.0 innings. It's just a matter of time before Beane gives Straily the nod, and when he does, I'll be among those who grab him immediately. Without seeing him face Major League hitting, here's his August opponents I would probably be comfortable rolling him out against: @White Sox, @Royals, Indians, Twins, @Rays, @Indians -- almost everyone. Oakland has it rough in September, save for two series against the Mariners, but still, if Straily is able to carry his dominance with him from the minors, it may not even matter. Or he'll suck. I don't really know.
I'm super high on the kid and think he could be a great play for the next several weeks. Who is your 3B? Util? CI? Is Olt going to play over any of them unless he blows the doors off right out the gate? That being said, I hope he comes up and mashes bombs for Texas, cause Michael Young kind of annoys me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Assuming non-keeper, Straily. As Hort alluded to, Olt is most likely going to be a part time player. He would need to go all Braun on us in order for Washington to shake up that playoff bound roster.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Super Manny » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
It depends on what you need, really. Olt could be relegated to playing part-time, whereas Straily may very well get his turn in the rotation from now til October. Here's my piece on Straily from today's CV Thread:
bigh0rt wrote:Dan Straily, OAK -- Dan Straily has set both AA and AAA on fire this year, posting a K/9 over 11 at each stop, a full 2 K/9 higher than anything he had ever shown before. What's that say to me? He's doing something different this year, and it's working. Whether it's a new pitch or newly found location, or whatever it is, it's turned him into a strikeout machine that has dominated minor league hitting without walking the ballpark. That's a recipe I love. 2.57 FIP in 85.1 AA innings before being promoted to AAA where he's posted a 2.20 FIP over 53.0 innings. It's just a matter of time before Beane gives Straily the nod, and when he does, I'll be among those who grab him immediately. Without seeing him face Major League hitting, here's his August opponents I would probably be comfortable rolling him out against: @White Sox, @Royals, Indians, Twins, @Rays, @Indians -- almost everyone. Oakland has it rough in September, save for two series against the Mariners, but still, if Straily is able to carry his dominance with him from the minors, it may not even matter. Or he'll suck. I don't really know.
I'm super high on the kid and think he could be a great play for the next several weeks. Who is your 3B? Util? CI? Is Olt going to play over any of them unless he blows the doors off right out the gate? That being said, I hope he comes up and mashes bombs for Texas, cause Michael Young kind of annoys me.

To answer your questions:

I'm in a 12-team roto league with starting positions as follows: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, UTIL, 5 SP, 4 RP with bench room for 5 and 1 DL slot. We've traditionally been strictly a redraft league, but this year, we will be starting to use keepers, with 3 players carrying over into the next season.

My 3B is Jose Bautista. While he's on the mend, I've been using FA-pickup, Chipper Jones to fill-in. As of late, my UTIL spot has been a mish-mash of Ben Revere, Josh Reddick, Dominic Brown, and Eric Hosmer, dependent upon the stats I'm looking to pick up in the standings. Bautista also has OF-eligibility for me, with my other outfield starters being Mike Trout, Hunter Pence, and Allen Craig (with Revere, Reddick, and Brown rotating in).

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Olt or Straily in a keeper league? And are either one worth using a #1 waiver or wait
Last edited by deerayfan072 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Mr November wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Mr November wrote:ESPN doesn't have him either, FWIW. Which is strange, because I can't remember the last time someone wasn't in ESPN's database.
This is exactly what I was thinking two hours ago. Bizarre.

From twitter:
Emailed ESPN to ask when they'd add Straily & they said anyone with no chance to make opening day roster is added when they debut

That is beyond stupid. On the plus side I can add Pat Burrell, who retired months ago.

ESPN will do one big addition of players that are likely to be called up. I can't remember the exact date, but sometime soon. I suppose anybody who isn't included in that giant mid-season addition will be added when they're called up.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby HighHeater » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm going all in on Straily as well, doing what he has done in AA and AAA none the less in the freaking hitter paradise of all known as "The Pacific Coast League" ... i'll gladly take that kid over Olt in Redraft and Keepers. It's not that I do not like Olt.... quite the opposite i just view Olt as a ceiling of .270 30hr type with a lot of k's.... Straily has more to me. If history has told us anything its prospect pundits are always way to slow or timid to buy into a guy like Straily but I have watched enough of him, read the positive reviews and scouting reports to have faith in him going forward and in Oakland no doubt.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Saltydog » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm

I have a hard time doubting Oakland pitching prospects, and Straily got stuff that translates well to the bigs.

Olt could be Chris Davis revisited...
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)

Re: Re: Who are the next rookies due up?

Postby garf112 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 pm

Saltydog wrote:I have a hard time doubting Oakland pitching prospects, and Straily got stuff that translates well to the bigs.

Olt could be Chris Davis revisited...

17 HRs in half a season. Kept for the next season. Falls off a cliff. Parts of a few seasons in the majors striking out a lot. Makes a comeback and hits for above average power?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers