Who are the next rookies due up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the next rookies due up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are the next rookies due up?

Postby carter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Edwar Cabrera goes tonight! .. and Matt Harvey is starting thursday (i wonder how long til we see Zach Wheeler and Jeurys Familia)

some of these could be big: Dan Straily, Dan Hultzen, Starling Marte, Nolan Arenado, Nick Franklin, Jake Odorizzi, Tyler Skaggs, Gary Brown .. maybe Oscar Taveras or Carlos Martinez in sep
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:12 pm

been reading on twitter, Starling Marte is coming. he will meet the team tomorrow in Houston.

The Pirates will promote Starling Marte on Thursday.
The 23-year-old Dominican outfielder has registered a solid .286/.348/.500 batting line with 12 home runs, 20 doubles and 13 triples in 98 games this season at the Triple-A level. Marte has also swiped 21 bases, and could be a factor right away in deeper mixed fantasy leagues. The Pirates are truly going for it.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Element » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Brett Jackson was pulled tonight. Reed Johnson traded. Looks like he's on his way.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Element wrote:Brett Jackson was pulled tonight. Reed Johnson traded. Looks like he's on his way.

if Jackson is coming up, I assume it would be to get playing time and not sit on the bench?
potential/expectations?
very high K rate in the minors. 34% this season. ouch.
but impressive other numbers. 15 HR/24 SB.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
Element wrote:Brett Jackson was pulled tonight. Reed Johnson traded. Looks like he's on his way.

if Jackson is coming up, I assume it would be to get playing time and not sit on the bench?
potential/expectations?
very high K rate in the minors. 34% this season. ouch.
but impressive other numbers. 15 HR/24 SB.
A nice power/speed combo, but I don't see him batting for a high average. He walks a decent amount, though. He could certainly be productive for the remainder of the season as long as AVG isn't a concern. Love the 24 SB to 5 CS this season, and he's 30 of his last 36 attempts. He could also bat .220 and strikeout twice a game.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 pm

It's hard to do much of anything when you have a 34% K rate in the minors. For perspective, Pedro Alvarez only had a 24% K-rate in AAA at the same age, with more power. And in the IL, not PCL. For a guy in his second stint in the PCL his numbers are very underwhelming. And I've read/heard from a lot of places that don't think much of him at all. But still, if they're gonna give him playing time, he'll get some steals. I don't think the power will play very well though. He'll have to shorten up his swing just to keep his head above water.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Smileyman9 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Vitters.
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer indicated Tuesday that prospect third baseman Josh Vitters is likely to be called up from Triple-A Iowa in the near future.
Vitters, who turns 23 later this month, is hitting .296/.349/.496 with 15 home runs, 63 RBI and an .846 OPS in 106 games this season at the Triple-A level. There are serious questions about his plate discipline, but he should get a look as the Cubs evaluate their internal options for 2013. He might be worth a stash in NL-only formats.

question. who comes up first? Josh Vitters for the Cubs or Jedd Gyorko for the Padres. now that Headley is not going anywhere, it's unlikely Gyorko comes up before September right?
I've been stashing Gyorko in a 16 team league with only Chris Davis at 3B. thinking about dropping Gyorko for Vitters, probably the smart move.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby snash » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Might not matter much for fantasy, but my guess is Josh Vitter for the Cubs. It's do-or-die time for Vitter. He was a highly touted prospect how long ago?
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigZ38 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 am

Mike Olt being promoted. Not in Yahoo...damnit
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)