How to use your bench - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to use your bench

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to use your bench

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering how some of the cafe feel about bench management. I remember a couple years ago there was a thread like this but I really hate digging around..

Lets say you have 5 bench spots, do you always target a certain ratio of bats to arms? From day to day I hate benching good offensive production, so I've always tended to use all of my bench spots on extra starters/MRPs to play matchups..but I'm guessing there's a few more schools of thought out there.

Does it depend on the way the draft is going..ie if you draft pitcher heavy load up with bench hitters because that's probably your weakness?
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to use your bench

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:09 pm

If I had 5 bench spots, typically I would have 5 bench SP with the possibility of a bench bat if I were holding a guy or platooning, and the off chance in an extreme case that I would have 2 bench bats, but that'd be a big exception to my norm.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 pm

5 bench spots isn't that many.
one 12 team private league I'm in has 7, and another private 16 team keeper league I'm in has 9.

I think one of the strategies for the bench is drafting guys real late that produce mostly from just one side of the plate.

Juan Rivera for example. not someone you would think of to be that productive, but used only against LH pitching he can be very productive,
12 vs LHP - 21 AB - .381/.458/.524/.982
(12 vs RHP - 37 AB - .189/.200/.270/.470)
11 vs LHP - 114 AB - .289/.349/.456/.805
(11 vs RHP - 352 AB - .247/.309/.358/.667)

Garrett Jones. he's being platooned in Pittsburgh. probably on the waiver in most leagues.
12 vs RHP - 46 AB - .283/.292/.543/.835 (0 AB vs LHP)
11 vs RHP - 355 AB - .262/.346/.462/.808
(11 vs LHP - 68 AB - .147/.181/.279/.460)

the same type of thing can be done with pitchers. look for pitchers who are great at home but average/below average/bad on the road (or vice versa), and then only start them at home. such as San Diego Padres pitchers only being used at PETCO.

or another strategy for hitters. have someone with multiple position eligibility that you can use at different positions for players that have days off. Robert Andino for example in yahoo is eligible at 2B/3B/SS.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby Thursday » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm

My league has 6. For years, i would use a 6-man SP rotation with (hopefully) 5 closers, 2 bench bats - usually multi-position flex guys. This year, switched it up to a 5 man rotation, 3 bench bats. Reason for the change is to stash a minors prospect if there's one worth holding (Harper) since i'm in a keeper.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Padsin05 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 pm

my league has a 1500 ip cap, so i roll with 6 starters, 3-4 closers, 2-3 mr

I like to carry some flexibility in my reserves or starters for example

Kendrick 2b/of
Lahair 1b/of

I usually fluctuate between 4-5 hitters, right now carrying an extra speed guy (dyson) to try to get some SB's and Nunez for the flexibility when he plays
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:06 pm

innings caps, league depth and H2H vs roto would have a big effect on how to use your bench. If there are inning caps then I try to add extra RP's for ratios and potential saves while having a 1-2 extra bats to play platoon matchups with. If there aren't innings caps (or if it's H2H) then almost my entire bench will be SP'ers.

If it's a deep league then I like to have 1-2 (or more) bench bats. I don't like the thought of starting a utility player if a starter gets injured.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 pm

I think it really all depends on your team, league rules, etc.

For me it all depends on my team's makeup. If I know that I have a bunch of left-handed hitters, I'll often keep an extra bench bat on my team to fill in when those guys are facing lefty pitchers. If the league has weekly transactions, I see little purpose in keeping extra bench bats because I'm rarely (it will happen but rarely) going to bench one of my starting hitters for matchups. Another thing that matters is league depth.

Another strategy I'd like to try in a deeper league is to only draft like 3-4 starters (that I would start all the time or nearly all the time) and have one spot on my team designated for streaming/spot-starting (I feel like by picking up guys 2 days before they are scheduled to start you could be your opponents to them, and I would start a guy basically every day). I'm thinking like 500 innings from my 3 starters, 500 from the "spot-start" slot, and ~300 from relievers (guess it would depend on the innings cap). I think this works better in a roto league. I'd use the extra couple of roster spots saved on bench spots, which means I could "overpay" for guys who hit RHP extremely well but struggle vs. LHP.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Depends on the league type to be honest. In weekly leagues I load up on pitching and play 2 start matchups. In daily leagues I go with a more balanced approach. In a daily roto league with a reasonable innings cap I go almost all hitting.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:31 pm

There's something very comfortable about regarding the last couple of spots on your roster as revolving doors. These days very few MLB players play 162 games and being able to maximize your games eligibility and innings cap necessitates streaming both pitchers and hitters. In one of my leagues I already have 51 moves. I'm always grabbing a middle infielder to play on a Monday, a catcher to stream when mine is sitting, a CI for Todd Helton's day off, etc. Inevitably, you'll find yourself with a roster full of players that you don't feel like you can drop, but if you can be realistic about what replacement level production/talent really is, you can usually figure out how to keep that stream spot or two open.

In another league I have a super-platoon OF/Util where I'm rotating guys like Cody Ross, Mark Trumbo, Chipper Jones and Matt Joyce, none of whom are playing every day, but all of whom are producing when in the lineup.

Ultimately, the key to bench management is understanding replacement level and acting accordingly. Yes, you will get burned when you drop someone who ends up being legit every once in a while, but in my opinion, a couple such instances don't add up to negating the advantage you get from having a flexible roster.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby benb18a » Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 am

This is my first ever fantasy baseball season, so I'm experimenting, but having a solid bat on the bench with multiple position eligibility is quite useful to me. Why? For example, Aviles is 2B, 3B and SS eligible. This is awesome because you no longer need a backup for any of the three positions, and it reduces the amount of "holes" you have on your bench, since you can not have a backup for every single position; having him on your bench reduces the amount of unbacked up players by two. Having backup bats isn't really all that important, since it is pretty much universal that many teams have an off day on either Monday or Thursday, meaning it's highly unlikely your opponent will have an advantage when you have a couple starting positions with players on on off day, and players that are worth their salt will only have a "rest" day once every 2-3 weeks anyway, some even less. Also, if you can use a guy like Prince Fielder who likes to play 162 games a year, might as well grab him, and look at that...another spot on your bench you can use for a pitcher or a backup for an injury risk.

I tend to roll with as many SPs as I can. I currently have seven starters, and zero of them have two starts this week, so having the ability to rotate in extra pitchers allows you to eliminate the advantage of your opponent having two start pitchers, provided he only has enough starters to fill his starting slots.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers