Why doesnt anyone like Barry Bonds.?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why doesnt anyone like Barry Bonds.??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:28 am

In a league where OBP and SLG are both categories, I took Bonds with the 5th pick. His numbers last year were .529/.749. He could drop 100 points in OBP and SLG and still be the top guy in the league. I factored in all the things everyone here has mentioned (age, lineup, steroid scandal, injury risk) and still couldn't pass him up at pick #5.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:00 am

Time to visit Barry Bonds .com pretty soon to get the whole story :-D
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 1swift » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:37 am

those that list reasons like he's an ass or a jerk or whatever may answer the question of why people generally dont like him but if u look at it how would u feel if you were in his situation? we'd all love to have his salary but in baseball what they are doing to him would make me upset too, he see's less strikes in a game than most players see in one AB. The intentional walks in every situation is ridicoulous i mean ive seen them walk him when he leads off an inning and they have a decent lead. Bonds is still a great player who consitantly has a high average along with his HR's, SLG, OBS, or OPS and although he isnt a 1st pick guy he is certainly worth gettin in 1st round mid-late
1swift
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:39 am

1swift wrote: we'd all love to have his salary

true.... but i'd rather have A-Rod's salary :-D

1swift wrote: but in baseball what they are doing to him would make me upset too, he see's less strikes in a game than most players see in one AB. The intentional walks in every situation is ridicoulous

also true but its not his or the pitchers fault... pitchers and opposing teams want to win or stay in the game and not have Bonds hit one into the sea every other strike they throw. its the Giants fault that they havent been able to put decent hitters in front of him and another half decent guy behind him to make teams pay for walking him. if the Giants had decent hitters he'd be helping his team a lot by walking but as of right now teams can just walk him everytime up and not have to pay for it.

as for them 'roids, the truth will come out as they do have samples for the seven 'Greg Anderson boys' from last year and they will tested. but even if they DID find THG, Bonds would be let go cos it wasn only banned this year.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Why doesnt anyone like Barry Bonds.??

Postby mtarail » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:49 pm

[quote="whitesox04champs"]

1)He's taken steroroids and it is obvious, he has stopped since testing will begin and injuries will nag him throughout the season as it has to other roid boys(Mcgwire,Canseco)
quote]

Wow. I didn't know that steroids innoculated you from injury.. ;-)

If he has injuries it's gonna have a hell of a lot more to do with being a 40 year old man playing a 25 year old's game than with the stoppage of his *alleged* steroid use.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Why doesnt anyone like Barry Bonds.??

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:24 pm

mtarail wrote:If he has injuries it's gonna have a hell of a lot more to do with being a 40 year old man playing a 25 year old's game than with the stoppage of his *alleged* steroid use.

agreed ...

bravo
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers