Streaming pitcher problem in Yahoo Fantasy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Streaming pitcher problem in Yahoo Fantasy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Streaming pitcher problem in Yahoo Fantasy

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon May 07, 2012 1:40 pm

So I actively dislike streaming myself, but I'm a little confused here. The whole reason we added the max weekly adds was to combat streaming. It sounds like you are using that, with a setting of 4. Is that right? As someone who dislikes streaming, I'd have trouble viewing 4 adds a week as streaming, even if they all were spot starts. But if you/your league does, you could set it at 3, I guess. Or 2. But at that point you're pretty close to just having weekly lineups. Unless the goal is that you want to allow 4 weekly adds, but not with the intent to stream. But once you start disallowing roster moves based on the intent of the manager, that's pretty hard for us to enforce.

For the record, I also am pretty avidly against changing rules in the middle of the season. In my keeper league, I pretty much won't do such a thing unless there is unanimous support.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotoballnut » Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Funny answers to this. Everyone is making it too hard.

1. You can't change rules during the season, no matter how much you or anyone hates that these streaming owners out-smarted you in how to build their team in the draft. They planned to stream because your rules allowed it and thus put less emphasis on picking top SPs in the draft. That's your fault, not theirs.

2. Next year, put an Innings Pitched limit in your league. I'm commish of 2 CBS leagues where we have 9 active pitchers, daily transactions, and an IP yearly limit of 1,700. Some streaming occurs, but has limits to it because of the IP max.

3. Steaming doesn't always help owners. Many times I see it hurt an owner in Whip and ERA. Yes it might help in Ks and Ws, but there's a trade-off there.
rotoballnut
rotoballnut
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby antdelvec » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:06 pm

We have a similar problem our league, which caused us to set a "gentleman's agreement" on the amount of starters that we would deploy in a week.

Our issue wasn't so much the streaming as it was a single team filled his entire bench with starters and flooded the pitching counting stats. An effective strategy, but a strategy that wasn't really in the spirit of the league and most of the league refused to play that way, which resulted in easy wins and back-to-back league championships for this particular team. We play 6x6 with both wins and QS, so throw Ks into the mix and the team had a head start in winning. It nearly made the hitting categories irrelevant and took the fun out of just about everyone else's experience. I can't really blame the team for exploiting the loophole in the format, but one team adjusting how everyone else played just didn't seem right.

Next year, though, it looks like we'll be moving to adding negative stats and maybe k per 9 while removing either wins or QS.
antdelvec
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner