Streaming pitcher problem in Yahoo Fantasy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Streaming pitcher problem in Yahoo Fantasy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming pitcher problem in Yahoo Fantasy

Postby mlymon77 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:00 pm

There are some teams in my league that are taking advantage of weekly acquisitions by dropping a pitcher after his start and adding another pitcher who starts the next day (obviously too common of a problem). They are also dropping all Bench hitters in order to stack up on pitching. Other teams in the league are concerned that this causes the fantasy season to be more a game of mathematics than a game of players teams actually drafted. Without having the option of setting a max. number of pitching starts for the week, can anyone give me some advice?
I've thought about changing Allow Roster Changes from Daily - Today to Daily - Tomorrow.
I've thought about changing # of weekly adds from 4 to 3 or 2.
I've also thought about changing the point system so that a bad pitching start actually scores negative points. Perhaps this would keep teams from streaming bad pitchers just to maximize points.
Any thoughts would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated. Most of the teams in my league want fair play and are very frustrated with the few who take advantage of the loopholes.
Thanks!!
mlymon77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming pitcher problem in Yahoo Fantasy

Postby osbtensor » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Why can't you cap inning for the season? 1250 or something... 1500
osbtensor
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby aerrico » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:21 am

Cap innings or pitching starts to something that you deem reasonable for your league's depth, settings, etc.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby jman1840 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm

In our league, we set a 100-move limit for the entire season which has done a good job of curtailing streaming. I like the season limit instead of the weekly limit because that restricts other managers who may all of a sudden get hit with a lot of injured players and need to pick up 5 players in one week or if some hot prospect finally gets called up but they can't add them since they already reached the weekly limit... and I don't like capping IPs because that's not fair to the people who have a ton of SPs already and aren't necessarily streaming...
jman1840
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Quackman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:36 pm

mlymon77 wrote:There are some teams in my league that are taking advantage of weekly acquisitions by dropping a pitcher after his start and adding another pitcher who starts the next day (obviously too common of a problem). They are also dropping all Bench hitters in order to stack up on pitching. Other teams in the league are concerned that this causes the fantasy season to be more a game of mathematics than a game of players teams actually drafted. Without having the option of setting a max. number of pitching starts for the week, can anyone give me some advice?
I've thought about changing Allow Roster Changes from Daily - Today to Daily - Tomorrow.
I've thought about changing # of weekly adds from 4 to 3 or 2.
I've also thought about changing the point system so that a bad pitching start actually scores negative points. Perhaps this would keep teams from streaming bad pitchers just to maximize points.
Any thoughts would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated. Most of the teams in my league want fair play and are very frustrated with the few who take advantage of the loopholes.
Thanks!!

If your already set at 4 moves I'd say that you can't do to much more than that. 4 is set pretty low as it is. People complaining with only 4 moves is a litt nutty also. Even people tha t are shuffling would be dumb to use all 4 ,,,so you are only talking about shuffling in a couple P from the WW. Maybe it helps pick upwins if lucky, but I doubt it's doing much other than hurting era and whip.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby converge241 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Most H2H leagues I run usually we go with weekly lineups to avoid piling up daily on anything (you can still stream 2 starters weekly but doesnt cause a shift of resources so to speak that you seem to want to avoid/deter from)

Setting it to tomorrow will just have those folks get tomorrows starters, same difference.

As someone said your move limits are so low I dont see a need to change there. Everyone should use a few of those moves if they are there for streaming pitchers OR hitters on off days. Someone streaming could need one of those moves for injury or the like later in the week and it evens out.

So in the end id recommend changing to weekly next year, it has downsides too (someone gets hurt mid week) but solves the major issue some of your folks are having. 2nd best option IMO would be adding walks or altering the system like you said to penalize too many innings. For this eyar those folks are going to have to join in or not worry about it/put faith in their system. Good luck with it in any form though.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby dangadd » Tue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm not sure that I understand the reason that people see streaming as a totally bad thing. All the leagues I am involved in have some cats that are counting stats and others that are quality stats. It's hard to stream and acquire quality stats regularly and/or reliably. These guys are on the WW for a reason. You could argue that baseball knowledge and interpreting the Stats is important when streaming too. Is streaming seen as such an unfair tactic?

If you want to stop streaming the suggested ways would go some way to eliminating it but as long as you have roster moves available there is always some possibility that streaming can take place. The only way to eliminate streaming will be to lock rosters after the draft - which is pretty silly too.

Perhaps you could consider altering the categories that count for pitchers. How about removing K's and replacing it with K/9? You could put a reasonably high minimum number of innings pitched. Counting stats become less important then than quality stats. If you could manipulate your other stats you could make streaming less attractive. If it's a points league you could reward good starts and penalise poor starts more (more negative values on BB, H and ER).

I am streaming in 2 H2H leagues I am in. One is a team I took over from another owner. It has 12 moves allowed per week - that's a streamers heaven. I can stream but I need to be careful about who I pick up, one or two bad starts and you've lost ERA and WHIP for the week (possibly without much of a gain in W or K).

The other is a league in which we are only allowed 4 moves per week. It only has 6 players (we are a UK based group of friends). The commish gave himself (IMO) an unfair advantage and I am using streaming to level the field. I can pick up two-start pitchers Sunday night for the following weeks matchup. Since there are only 6 of us in teh league there are some good pitchers on the WW.

Dan
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Tue May 01, 2012 5:26 pm

converge241 wrote:
So in the end id recommend changing to weekly next year, it has downsides too (someone gets hurt mid week) but solves the major issue some of your folks are having. 2nd best option IMO would be adding walks or altering the system like you said to penalize too many innings. For this eyar those folks are going to have to join in or not worry about it/put faith in their system. Good luck with it in any form though.

I don't consider weekly leagues much fun. That should not be a reason to go weekly to stop streaming. Daily leagues is where the fun is. You can stop streaming with the four moves you have. There can be no streaming with only four moves. I don't recall the number of teams in your league, but if you have less than 12 and are using all 30 MLB teams in your player pool, that is why you have streaming. You need to have a reasonable number of teams, but again with only four moves a week, it is impossible to have streaming. Enjoy your league and do not worry.
Last edited by bigmck on Mon May 07, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby BasedonBalls » Thu May 03, 2012 4:05 pm

I see no problem with streaming. It's how some choose to play the game and it doesn't always pay off. Frankly I would be pissed if you started changing the rules midseason. You knew what the rules were when you joined the league.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
BasedonBalls
T-Ball Trainer

Postby gravenewworld » Mon May 07, 2012 11:40 am

You need to quit this league. Any league that allows streaming is not legit. Streaming is not baseball, and is not a legit strategy. How can anyone argue that it is a legitimate strategy? It's as if your 9 starters have to play against 20 starters and expect your 9 starters to have a chance at winning strikeouts and Ws. There's no point in wasting time in this league. Either stay in the league next year and change the rules by capping the weekly # of acquisitions or IP limits. An even better idea is to use rate stats such as K/9. That way people can stream all they want, it will likely hurt their K/9 if they didn't draft solid pitching.
gravenewworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner