Punt Saves? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Punt Saves? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punt Saves? WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Grant Ball-four and Francisco Cordero do more harm than good to my pitching line. Should I dump one or both of them and add Addison Reed, Matt Thornton, or Jonny Venters to support my team's otherwise strong pitching peripherals?

12 Team H2H Daily with 6 Keepers Season to Season, each for 3 years max. * means a keeper entering this season
Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

MY CURRENT TEAM (pending recent trade)

C Jesus Montero
1B Prince Fielder*
2B Dustin Pedroia*
3B Miguel Cabrera*
SS Hanley Ramirez*
OF Alex Gordon
OF BJ Upton
OF Giancarlo Stanton
UT Adam Dunn
UT JD Martinez
UT Denard Span
BN Bryce Harper
BN Delmon Young
DL Jacoby Ellsbury
DL Carl Crawford

SP Roy Halladay*
SP Cole Hamels
SP Ian Kennedy
RP Grant Balfouro
RP Francisco Cordero
P Aroldis Chapman
P Ricky Romero
BN Brandon Beachy
BN Jordan Zimmermann
BN Chris Sale
BN Jarrod Parker
DL Doug Fister
DL Sergio Santos
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Punt Saves? WHIR

Postby wazzeus » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:31 pm

If you feel like you can absorb the loss of saves, I like Reed as a pick-up. You won't hurt your peripherals, and there's a very good chance he takes over as closer by midseason, at which point you might very well have stumbled into a top-15 stopper. Thornton is trade bait, from what I've read, and Robin Ventura said today (after Thornton's save) that he still plans to roll Hector Santiago out there in the ninth. If Thornton has value, I don't see it lasting long.

I'd be hesitant to drop a closer, even a bad one, for a Venters type who's unlikely to sniff the ninth inning.

Thanks for your help on mine.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Punt Saves? WHIR

Postby jovenparque » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:46 pm

on one hand, punting is not so bad since sv is 1 of 9 categories. so you could replace your closers with ratio helping strikeout guys like chapman (who you already have) and robertson.

but if you completely punt sv from this point on, you're potentially conceding 20+ losses over the course of the season and that could be the difference between money and not money or playoff and not playoff. are they really THAT bad? you have really quality pitchers so i feel an inning of terrible pitching could be absorbed by your good pitchers.

i would hold on until they become totally untenable, at which point they will lose their jobs anyway. at the very least, i'd trade them for a roberston type of guy or SP and wouldn't drop them for someone to pick up with faab money.
jovenparque
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions