What should I do with this trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What should I do with this trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What should I do with this trade?

Postby ichirosan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:27 am

Dynasty league on its 5th year, 20 teams, H2H, 6x6 with OPS and Holds as the extra cats:

Team A gets:
Kendrys Morales
Jesús Montero

Team B gets:
José Bautista

Team A is a notorious Mariners fan, and his team is really going nowhere. Also, since our system penalyzes top heavy teams, if Bautista rebouds to top form, there's a risk he could lose him (though at the moment I don't see any player of similar caliber on his team, unless Napoli goes bonkers). The trade actually made some sense to me until one of the new owners complained.

The caveat here is that both owners are roommates. Since the league's inception, this has never been a problem, and I have never seen any fishy trade between them.

What should I do?
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What should I do with this trade?

Postby garf112 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:14 pm

It's a bad trade, but I doubt there is any funny business involved. I get what the guy is trying to do with the trade, building for the future, but he didn't get enough for Bautista. Selling at his lowest point in the past two plus seasons... not a good idea.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby converge241 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:35 am

Trade should pass. As stated this is a sell low on Bautista but Montero has sizeable value in a dynasty format especially if owner lusting for him believes in him. Kendrys in theory is a throw in to help even it up and plenty of people had thoughts of Morales returning to some promise (true or not to be seen). I think if you polled a pile of cafe members everyone would rather have Bautista side but I dont think its veto-worthy or suspicious.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:21 am

Bautista will be 32 later this year, could be we've seen the best and now have to settle for 75% or less from now on from the glory years. gotta let this 1 pass and allow the managers to run their own teams
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby converge241 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Fun side story to add in re: bautista - Theo Epstein once waiver claimed Jose Bautista in 2009 and ownership said that he was too much money (800k) and it wasnt consumated. Same ownership approves deals like the Crawford deal no problem. Just goes to show how quickly values can change in both real baseball and fantasy. Dont worry too much about the name value in terms of veto if any case(s) can be made the other way.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Return to Commissioner's Corner