2012 prospect chatter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2012 prospect chatter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2012 prospect chatter

Postby kab21 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:51 am

So I definitely don't keep up on the minors like I used to but we are 3-4 weeks into the season so it's time start looking at who's hot and who's cold. Here are just a few that I own, used to own or are in the Twins system.

wil Myers is looking awesome - a lot of K's but 6HR's and a 1.085 OPS - hits in all but one game
Sano is starting out awesome in full season ball - a lot of K's but also a lot of BB's and a lot of power
Eddie rosario appears to be holding his own at 2B (no bad reports) - only 1 HR but great plate discipline (13BB's and 12 K's) - .888 OPS
Singleton is looking good after an okay season - 1.118 OPS
Bogaerts all around solid offensively - .884 OPS in high A
Odor - holding his own as an 18 yr old in low A - .819 OPS
Hicks giving the same mixed results except he has power now - a lot of K's, a lot of BB's, some power and good CF defense = MLB'er (I think)
Yordano Ventura - a sleeper in KC's system - 26K's and 8 BB's in 16.2innings. 21 in A+
Odorizzi might have a 4.00 ERA but he has 25K's and 6BB's in 17.2innings.

cold
Schoop - .579 OPS as a 20 yr old in AA
Martin Perez not real impressive in AAA but he is only 21
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 prospect chatter

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Gary Brown has been terrible so far, hard to use that speed when you're unable to get enough hits to get on base. Cheslor Cuthbert hasn't done anything yet this season but he's still 19 1/2 and in High A, he'll probably figure out how to hit for power sometime this summer. The walks are nice and the strikeouts aren't out of control either.

My keeper team with a small minors system has Bauer, Arenado, and Myers, couldn't be happier right now about that trio after wasting years on Dom Brown, plus Montero being held back an extra year. All look like good bets to make a legit impact and soon (it doesn't pay to hang onto guys so far away there, you sit on guys for years and then miss out on the studs like Matt Moore, fail).
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Still failing to give Billy Hamilton props, eh Kab? :-B
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kab21 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:01 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Still failing to give Billy Hamilton props, eh Kab? :-B

I'm sorry but I don't track him since I don't own him, haven't owned him nor is he in the Twins system. I don't have a vendetta against him. I just don't believe in his bat and I'm not really sold on his defense at SS. If you want to add something to this thread then by all means post his stats and talk about him because he is off to a great start.

but your behavior is somewhat childish now that you have taken this discussion to 2 different threads in an a rather immature way.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 pm

kab21 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Still failing to give Billy Hamilton props, eh Kab? :-B

I'm sorry but I don't track him since I don't own him, haven't owned him nor is he in the Twins system. I don't have a vendetta against him. I just don't believe in his bat and I'm not really sold on his defense at SS. If you want to add something to this thread then by all means post his stats and talk about him because he is off to a great start.

but your behavior is somewhat childish now that you have taken this discussion to 2 different threads in an a rather immature way.

Wow, Kab, didn't take you to be the sensitive type. 8-o Simple harmless ribbing that I figured an experienced member here would have understood but whatev's won't happen again. :-°

Billy Hamilton is off to an outstanding start in the California League for Bakersfield. So far on the season, he's just a shade under .400 with an OPS of 1.084. Considering he's not a home run hitter, many feel the league isn't over inflating his production so far. He's already sitting on 11 XBH when he had only 30 all of last season. However, the biggest indicator of improvement has to be the BB/K ratio. As of right now, it sits at 14/16 - a crazy improvement over a year ago. To boot, he can still run. Already 28 SB's.

As Kab correctly surmised, his defense is still somewhat suspect at SS as I think he's up to 7 errors on the year. I'm pretty sure the Reds will continue to give him time there though as his range is just fantastic. At worst, they'll move him over to 2B (not CF like some are saying) as that could be his way onto the Reds roster in a year or so (with Brandon Phillips possibly moving to 3B).
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Philly_05 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:18 pm

I have been pretty happy with my farm system so far this year. Like yourself I got Sano, Bogaerts and Singleton on my farm. These are some of my other players and how they are doing so far.

2B/SS Jean Segura .256 2 HR 11 RBI 8-10 on SB
C Hank Conger .357 2 HR 8 RBI
1B Anthony Rizzo .378 7 HR 21 RBI
OF Josh Bell .274 1 HR 11 RBI

Trevor Bauer 5-0 1.26 ERA 28 IP 37 K
James Paxton 2-0 3.09 ERA 23 IP 31 K
Taijuan Walker 3-0 1.64 ERA 22 IP 26 K
Carlos Martinez 0-1 2.12 ERA 17 IP 20 K

Domonic Brown .265 0 HR 11 RBI What happened to you son. :~(
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager