Backup for Catcher slot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Backup for Catcher slot?

Backup for Catcher slot?

Postby st3v3k4hn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm in a fairly deep H2H league, we use 8 fielders+ 2 Util hitters + 8 Pitchers + 6 bench slots. It drives me nuts to have empty slots on game day so I am trying really hard to have backups for all positions. I've got IF covered with just Andino and Butler. My OF is a mess because of injuries to Ellsbury and Reimold and paternity leave for Willingham. Hopefully they will both be back any day now and I can drop an OF. I could of course add a SP when I do that, but I was wondering if its worth backing up catcher? Montero hasn't been great so far, and when he is out I have no backup. Unfortunately there aren't really any great options left at C in my league; Arencibia and Soto are top o-ranked of whats left, Saltalamacchia is best ranked currently. An interesting option is Ryan Doumit; he qualifies at OF and C and he is getting a lot of ABs right now playing those positions + DH. I could potentially pick him up and drop 1 or 2 OFs and use those slots for more pitching. He's not great but he is mostly gonna sit on the bench and be a backup. Does this make any sense? And if so, can I really afford to have him as the 4th OF??? Thanks. Roster below.

C Miguel Montero
1B Paul Konerko
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Adrian Beltre
SS Dee Gordon
2B, 3B, SS Robert Andino
OF J. Ellsbury (DL), Shane Victorino, Jay Bruce, Josh Willingham, Nolan Reimold, Colby Rasmus (picked up to cover while Reimold and Willingham are out)
Util David Ortiz, Billy Butler (1B)

SP - Edwin Jackson, Jered Weaver, Brandon Morrow, Jon Lester, Jeremy Hellickson, Lance Lynn, Matt Garza, Daniel Hudson (DL)
RP - Javy Guerra, Rafael Betancourt, Henry Rodriguez, Santiago Casilla
st3v3k4hn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Backup for Catcher slot?

Postby ROC AllStars » Sat May 12, 2012 6:02 pm

You don't really get that much for carrying a backup C. I almost never have one, and instead use that slot to carry a prospect or a bounce back candidate.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum