Crawford out 3 months with elbow....now what...[Always WHIR] - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Crawford out 3 months with elbow....now what...[Always WHIR]

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crawford out 3 months with elbow....now what...[Always WHIR]

Postby TruYankeeFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:53 am

OK...so I knew as soon as I hit draft I was gonna regret it...but I got him after the first 10 rounds..so thought maybe worth the gamble if he is healing as well as they said at the time.

Well...no I def regret it...Crawford is refusing surgery to "repair" ulnar collateral ligament...and will try rehab instead. So will miss at least 3 months.I do not remember the last time avoiding surgery worked out for anyone with this kind of injury.

Now, even under best of circumstances he is not on the field until August...and having missed so much time and now recovering from both wrist and elbow (with the elbow not operated on when dr's recommended it)....just gives me an uneasy feeling.

If I did not already have Carpenter on my DL...it would not pose quite the same issue...but with Carp on DL til AS break...and and Dempster and Gardner on the 15-day DL...I could use the flexibility.

There are owners in my league that have open DL slots...so there is a chance someone could snag him and DL him and wait.

Do I care? My gut says cut and run...anyone here thing that is a bad idea?

My Roster
C-Napoli
1B-Prince
2B-R Weeks
SS-Jeter
3B-Arod
OF-Cespedes
OF-Melky Cabrera
OF-Schafer
UT-Headley
BN-Altuve, Reimold, Crawford(DL), Gardner(DL)

SP-Kershaw,Hamels,Shields,Carpenter(DL), Dempster(DL), Niese, Volquez

RP - Axford, League, Chapman
Last edited by TruYankeeFan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Crawford out 3 months with elbow....now what...[Always W

Postby osbtensor » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:37 am

I have no problem dropping him. Let someone else fill up space.. How deep is your league? and who is available that you're going to pickup with this newly freed up spot? An OF? that seems to be the biggest need that I can see.

help out? topic.php?t=445327
osbtensor
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 am

my bad....yahoo 12 team h2h...I am in first place with a 7.5 game lead...and am playing the guy in 2nd this week...and an currently up 5-4 (my pitching is saving my butt).

best available FA OF

Bourjols
Crisp
Kubel
Wells
LaHair
Soriano
Pagan
Ross
Parra
Scott
Gomez (Mil)
Niewenhuis
Schierholtz
Jay
Sweeney
Ibanez
Ludwick

Other FA on WW
Infante
LaRoche
K Johnson
Alcides Escobar
Gamel
Chipper
Eric Aybar
JP Arencibia
Brantley
Moreland
Span
Smoak

Pitchers:
J Hammel
Milone
Westbrook
Saunders
Liriano
Ogando
Nolasco
Dickey
Volgelsong
Leake
Zambrano
Buerhle
Parker
Bard
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeyg2323 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 pm

i wouldnt drop him for say, i would try to get something for him...even if it is a set up man, im sure someone will hold onto him.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 pm

At this point it is time to cut bait if you need roster flexibility imo. Best case is the guy is out until early July. And there is no reason to assume best case with this. Realistically, if he is back by the end of July you would be lucky. It is not worth the trouble imo if you hamstring yourself moves-wise. Yes he could come back and be lights out...or he could come back and be what he was last year (or worse). Or he has a setback ad misses even more time. It just is not worth the trouble. If you have an open DL slot, he costs nothing to stash. If not, just cut him imo.

I have the same problem in one league where I have Morse, Hudson, Berkman and now likely Zimmerman headed for the DL. Shallow league with 2 bench and 2 DL slots and I can't afford to keep Crawford around much longer.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:46 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:At this point it is time to cut bait if you need roster flexibility imo. Best case is the guy is out until early July. And there is no reason to assume best case with this. Realistically, if he is back by the end of July you would be lucky. It is not worth the trouble imo if you hamstring yourself moves-wise. Yes he could come back and be lights out...or he could come back and be what he was last year (or worse). Or he has a setback ad misses even more time. It just is not worth the trouble. If you have an open DL slot, he costs nothing to stash. If not, just cut him imo.

I have the same problem in one league where I have Morse, Hudson, Berkman and now likely Zimmerman headed for the DL. Shallow league with 2 bench and 2 DL slots and I can't afford to keep Crawford around much longer.

I have 5 benchspots and 1DL....but I have Carpenter, Dempster, Gardner all on DL too...and it looks like carp will be there til June/July. But at least from the sounds of Carpenter's issues...once he gets strong...he should be back without further issues. So could be a great late season addition. So yeah not looking forward to wasting that spot until July/Aug.

Thanks for the help
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:53 pm

TruYankeeFan wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:At this point it is time to cut bait if you need roster flexibility imo. Best case is the guy is out until early July. And there is no reason to assume best case with this. Realistically, if he is back by the end of July you would be lucky. It is not worth the trouble imo if you hamstring yourself moves-wise. Yes he could come back and be lights out...or he could come back and be what he was last year (or worse). Or he has a setback ad misses even more time. It just is not worth the trouble. If you have an open DL slot, he costs nothing to stash. If not, just cut him imo.

I have 5 benchspots and 1DL....but I have Carpenter, Dempster, Gardner all on DL too...and it looks like carp will be there til June/July. But at least from the sounds of Carpenter's issues...once he gets strong...he should be back without further issues. So could be a great late season addition. So yeah not looking forward to wasting that spot until July/Aug.

Thanks for the help

With 5/1, I do not think it becomes as critical to clear the spot. Taht is a fairly deep league and I assume the wire is a lot thinner. It depends on what is on the wire, but Gardner will be back shortly. Dempster supposedly should come off after his 15 day stint is up (rehab start notwithstanding). So you really would only be burning one bench slot of 5 on Crawford and that is not terrible. It is far worse when you only have 2 bench slots. In your situation, it would depend on who is on the wire you want to pick up imo.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hot4tx » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:54 pm

I would definitely try to trade Crawford first.

Maybe even email other managers instead of sending trade offers. Tell them you hate trading a very good injury like Crawford in a HTH league, since it's the playoffs that matter most, but that you absolutely can't carry this many DL guys. Indicate what you'd like help on (crappy closer maybe? an outfielder? catcher?) and see. I think it's worth it to hang on to him for one more week if it gets you a useable player or even a 2-for-1 type of deal that upgrades one of your other players.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:57 pm

hot4tx wrote:I would definitely try to trade Crawford first.

Maybe even email other managers instead of sending trade offers. Tell them you hate trading a very good injury like Crawford in a HTH league, since it's the playoffs that matter most, but that you absolutely can't carry this many DL guys. Indicate what you'd like help on (crappy closer maybe? an outfielder? catcher?) and see. I think it's worth it to hang on to him for one more week if it gets you a usable player or even a 2-for-1 type of deal that upgrades one of your other players.

In a re-draft league, you will not get a bag of rocks for Crawford imo. No one will trade anything remotely usable for a guy that will miss at least half the season and possibly more and who is not even a sure fire superstar when he comes back. You can certainly try, but I tend to doubt it.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sigriffey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Offer a good piece and Crawford for a struggling guy like Stanton... who I think will come around soon.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions