Jermaine Dye or Dmitri Young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jermaine Dye or Dmitri Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:46 am

Im still in shock that the question was even asked.

sighhhh :-°
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stumpak » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:04 pm

Ditto that. I am trying to get Young in a trade now, I would not touch Dye with a 10-foot pole.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:10 pm

its Dimitri Young, and it isnt even close. Dye is not even close to the player he was before he broke his leg
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:44 pm

LBJackal wrote:I'm with the man upstairs (GSes) on this one. How can you take a guy whose hit a combined .227 over the past 2 seasons, and whose team's offense was pretty much cut in half this offseason (from anemic to almost non-existent), over Dmitri Young. A 3B who has been as good as Rolen and Chavez, only hasn't had a supporting cast? They've greatly improved their lineup, and this shouldn't even be a question: it's Young. He has a good shot at being better than Chavez this season, let alone Dye. Even in Dye's prime, when he wasn't recovering from a broken leg, and had Giambi and Tejada in his lineup in addition to Chavez, Young's #'s last year suggest he'd still be more valuable than Dye.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess he IS extremely under-rated if people are mentioning him in the same breath as Jermaine Dye. Same with Alex Sanchez. I guess Cornbread is rubbing off on me :-b

I dont think Dimirti Young is equal to Chavez or Rolen. I think he can be a top 5 Third Baseman this season, but the top 2 are going to be Chavez and Rolen.

Thats why Chavy and Rolen go in the third round while Dimitri goes much later. However like I said above, D Young is got to be the most underrated player in our game we call fantasy baseball.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:56 pm

Dmitri Young is now being hyped up so much that he may easily become overrated soon... :-?

He's drove in over 80 RBI twice before last year, and he didn't get hyped up. His average has been under .300 the past two years, after hitting over the 3-century mark in the 4 years prior. He set his new career high in strikeouts last year, 130. His first season hitting over 25 homeruns happens to come a time when steroids have become headline issue.

Just posting up a bit of the other side, since most people here already have discussed some of the positives of Dmitri.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:15 pm

yeah he hit under .300 last year

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:22 pm

Young by a nice margin. I am not sure what it is about Dye that we are still infatuated with. He had 2 very good years and 1 good year. That's it. He may turn it around but I'm not taking him. Even if it was close, Young's dual eligibility sways it in his favor.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby jellyroll » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:34 pm

we talking about the same Dimitri and Dye where the former was drafted in 12th rd and latter in the 23rd in most of my leagues??

If Dimitri lost his 3B eligablity and Dye was off to a torrid April and May I could see some one-for-one trades. though I'm still pulling for Dye ;-D
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:16 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. Good to see the Dmitri Young movement is in full swing.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:00 pm

GSes wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I'm with the man upstairs (GSes) on this one. How can you take a guy whose hit a combined .227 over the past 2 seasons, and whose team's offense was pretty much cut in half this offseason (from anemic to almost non-existent), over Dmitri Young. A 3B who has been as good as Rolen and Chavez, only hasn't had a supporting cast? They've greatly improved their lineup, and this shouldn't even be a question: it's Young. He has a good shot at being better than Chavez this season, let alone Dye. Even in Dye's prime, when he wasn't recovering from a broken leg, and had Giambi and Tejada in his lineup in addition to Chavez, Young's #'s last year suggest he'd still be more valuable than Dye.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess he IS extremely under-rated if people are mentioning him in the same breath as Jermaine Dye. Same with Alex Sanchez. I guess Cornbread is rubbing off on me :-b

I dont think Dimirti Young is equal to Chavez or Rolen. I think he can be a top 5 Third Baseman this season, but the top 2 are going to be Chavez and Rolen.

Thats why Chavy and Rolen go in the third round while Dimitri goes much later. However like I said above, D Young is got to be the most underrated player in our game we call fantasy baseball.

Why is Chavez the #2 3B? Because everybody is used to saying Rolen and Chavez are 1 and 2, and Rolen is clearly #1 so people assume Chavez is #2. I'd take Lowell over Chavez, and Dmitri Young has been as good as Chavez without the lineup help. Now that Chavez is without his MVP SS and All-Star catcher, he will have a very hard time getting R and RBI, especially since he will be pitched around the majority of the time. Young finally has some help in the lineup (White, Guillen, Vina, and a healthy Higginson who hopefully remembers how to hit) and I have no doubt he can be every bit as good as Chavez, or even better. Young's last 5 healthy seasons (2002 he had a hernia problem that he played through for 54 games): .310, .300, .303, . 302, .297 - not too bad for a 3B, is it. He has 30 HR power, and has always been a doubles hitter, which is a good sign of more power to come. The 130 K's might concern some people, but his OBA was a career high .372 so I wouldn't worry about the K's unless they are a stat in your league.

The fact that Chavez is drafted in the 3rd round doesn't make him better. It makes him over-rated. People need to stop ranking by where people are drafted, and start ranking by where they SHOULD be drafted.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers