How much should we really be looking at FIP and xFIP?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much should we really be looking at FIP and xFIP??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much should we really be looking at FIP and xFIP??

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Just curious to know how important that is to some of you when measuring how well a pitcher pitches.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How much should we really be looking at FIP and xFIP??

Postby jcook3127 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:13 pm

I consider xFIP the most important statistical metric in valuing pitchers...then to supplement xFIP I look at trends in ground ball rates, career BABIPs, etc.

But I really think it's a great stat.. A lot of people believe that Home Run per fly ball isn't totally normalized to that 10% figure though..meaning some guys just always give up a crap load of homers..so if you subscribe to that regular FIP is very good too..I think it's all about comparing trends on a pitcher by pitcher basis though..if 4 out of 5 years a pitcher has 7% or below HR/FLY, his xFIP will usually always ride higher than his actual ERA..obviously there's flaws to every stat but I love it
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 pm

I just look at SIERA. I believe it's the best, it correlates extremely well with ERA, stablizes fast, etc. Not that FIP or xFIP are horrible or anything, I just keep it simple by using SIERA.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Any sort of component ERA is better than ERA itself with the one caveat that park, defense etc still have to come into play as well.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Ender wrote:Any sort of component ERA is better than ERA itself with the one caveat that park, defense etc still have to come into play as well.

This. It's actually very easy to look at all of the component ERAs and get overhyped, without realizing that park and defense play a role in ERA (as do opposition, luck, etc.). Not accounting for park/defense (especially defense) is a very easy to way to hurt your ERA (and to a lesser extent WHIP).
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:26 am

I use xFIP mainly for getting a quick opinion on a pitcher but you still need to dig deeper. In addition to Ender's comments I also consider these advanced stats to be worthless after 3-4 starts. At this point in the season I'm more interested in pitch velocities and a new one that I'm using a lot (swstr%).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 175)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:31 am

It's valauble...unless it's Brandon Morrow (or at least the old version of Brandon Morrow...not the "evolved" version that he is now.).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 am

mweir145 wrote:It's valauble...unless it's Brandon Morrow (or at least the old version of Brandon Morrow...not the "evolved" version that he is now.).

That is a pretty key concept with them as well, if a pitcher has a multiple year history of these stats not agreeing with his actual ERA you have to assume they are an outlier and that it most likely will continue to happen. Matt Cain is an example, Tom Glavine was a really good example, Morrow is an example the other way. A lot of that is still park, competition and defense though. If Morrow were traded to the Cardinals tomorrow I would be buying on him so hard.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby reiser » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 am

NikkiSixx wrote:Just curious to know how important that is to some of you when measuring how well a pitcher pitches.

if I was the GM in real baseball it would be huge.

However I'm a savant fantasy GM, so I consider luck an asset. If a team has an exceptional defense behind them-think Rays pitchers, I want to know. If a pitcher would suck outside of Petco, what do I care unless he's traded?

Additionally, this quote from the fangraphs site: "Home run rates are generally unstable over time" deserves a sizeable asterisk. xFIP normalizes HR rates.

I have been reading about DIPS and its cousins for a while, and find the topic fascinating. This article provides a pretty good summary of all the research: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... -apostate/

All of which says you can spend a lot of time looking at a bunch of measurements which try to take park and defense factors out of a pitcher's record, and ramble on and on endlessly about Hellickson.

Or you could just look at GB/FB and K/9 rates and get on with your life :-D
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jorgesca » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:37 pm

LD rates are nowhere included in SIERA right? I think it includes GB rate and FB rate and I'd love one stat that included the 3 of them. Something like FIP but where BABIP included these 3 things.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers