Offered Jesus for Peavy? Jump? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Offered Jesus for Peavy? Jump?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offered Jesus for Peavy? Jump?

Postby JoeMoney19 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:02 pm

So I was just offered J. Montero for Peavy in my keeper league (get to choose up to 8 keepers each season). I don't have the perfect roster to pull the trigger on this (3 of my bench spots already hitters) but this one is tough to pass up. I felt ok with Doumit given that I tend to not draft catchers early in drafts (or relievers, as you can see). But once Jesus gets C-eligible I'll drop Doumit, most likely for another SP (unless the wait goes beyond Santos' DL stint). I know Montero's ballpark / lineup stink, but I like his upside especially since he's not catching every day. Peavy's also been great, but I've been burned by him before and this might be the perfect time to sell high.

Thoughts?

C R. Doumit (C)
1B F. Freeman (1B)
2B D. Pedroia (2B)
3B M. Cabrera (1B, 3B)
SS E. Aybar (SS)
LF M. Holliday (LF)
CF C. Gonzalez (LF, CF, RF)
RF N. Cruz (RF)
UT B. Butler (UT)
UT B. Upton (CF)
B C. Maybin (CF)
B M. Reynolds (3B, 1B)
B P. Goldschmidt (1B)

SP J. Verlander (SP)
SP C. Kershaw (SP)
SP J. Peavy (SP)
RP K. Jansen (RP)
RP C. Sale (RP, SP)
P M. Minor (SP)
B J. Parker (SP)

12-team league, H2H. Pretty standard scoring (HR, R, RBI, SB, K , AVG, OPS// W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9). Thanks!
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Offered Jesus for Peavy? Jump?

Postby JoeMoney19 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Should also mention that Montero has gotten 4 out of the required 10 starts at catcher to become eligible there in my league.

Thanks for any thoughts!
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mpieco » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:15 pm

I have to be honest here--I don't know if your pitching can sustain losing Peavy. You are so hitting-heavy that a trade that brings in another hitter totally unnecessary. If anything, you should be doing the opposite--trade hitting for pitching.

With that said, it would certainly be tempting to grade an upgrade at catcher (only if you plan on keeping Montero). If you simply plan on using Montero this year and then throwing him back in, then I highly recommend not doing this trade. Only do it if you plan on keeping Montero as your long-term catcher. I wouldn't be surprised to see Doumit outperform him this year.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Element » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:04 pm

I agree with selling Peavy right now. Montero is good value, but not much of a match. Maybe you could put Peavy and Reynolds together and find yourself a decent 2nd/3rd tier SP? Someone in the Beachy class.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby KaPluie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Your offense is fine. This trade only makes you weaker by reducing your thin pitching staff.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oxhammer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 pm

As much as I think selling high on Peavy is a good idea, I wouldn't make the trade. I don't see Montero giving you enough bump in hitting stats over Doumit to compensate for what you're potentially losing by not having Peavy. I would try a 2-for-2 counter trade and attempt to sweeten the deal for yourself.

viewtopic.php?t=445076
oxhammer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I'd do the trade. I like Doumit this year (he's on most of my teams), but I think Montero will be a good upgrade over him. I think you're getting good value here and even if it hurts your team for a bit now this isn't roto and finishing with the best team possible is what HTH is all about, assuming you make the playoffs. You don't have much pitching depth right now, but the top end of your pitching staff is pretty ridiculous for a 12-team league and should make up for your lack of depth.

I'd do the trade. Like you said, you can dump Doumit for a SP or RP and if Upton or Maybin heat up you could try to trade one of them for a much better pitchers than Peavy.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions