Take This Stanton Deal or Counter? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Take This Stanton Deal or Counter? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Take This Stanton Deal or Counter? WHIR

Postby pcm4 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:42 pm

As others have said this deal really comes down to how you value Stanton. As a guy who owned Stanton last year I am personally not a huge fan although I did get good value from where I drafted him. He started out slowly last year as well, but it is worth noting that in that particular April he still hit for decent power despite the lack of HRs and still got on base at a pretty good clip. That hasn't been the case this year. In addition while he might be good for HR he isn't going to help you in many other categories. I also found him to be killer in a H2H league because he was such a feast or famine player which is often the case with high K guys. Miami has not been a high scoring team so far and last season despite hitting 34 home runs he only drove in 87 and scored 79 times. I don't see that changing much even if he does regain his power stroke and given that he had nagging injuries for most of last year you have to wonder about his health. As you've already noted the knee and the new park are concerns particularly since he doesn't hit that many fly balls, but rather relies on knocking a large portion of the fly balls he hits out of the park. If you can get another player of comparable value instead of Stanton I would personally go for that.
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sigriffey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:54 pm

pcm4 wrote:As others have said this deal really comes down to how you value Stanton. As a guy who owned Stanton last year I am personally not a huge fan although I did get good value from where I drafted him. He started out slowly last year as well, but it is worth noting that in that particular April he still hit for decent power despite the lack of HRs and still got on base at a pretty good clip. That hasn't been the case this year. In addition while he might be good for HR he isn't going to help you in many other categories. I also found him to be killer in a H2H league because he was such a feast or famine player which is often the case with high K guys. Miami has not been a high scoring team so far and last season despite hitting 34 home runs he only drove in 87 and scored 79 times. I don't see that changing much even if he does regain his power stroke and given that he had nagging injuries for most of last year you have to wonder about his health. As you've already noted the knee and the new park are concerns particularly since he doesn't hit that many fly balls, but rather relies on knocking a large portion of the fly balls he hits out of the park. If you can get another player of comparable value instead of Stanton I would personally go for that.

Would you take Stanton if you only had to give up Ortiz and Altuve? (hence, leaving the SP out of it)
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby pcm4 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:08 pm

sigriffey wrote:
pcm4 wrote:As others have said this deal really comes down to how you value Stanton. As a guy who owned Stanton last year I am personally not a huge fan although I did get good value from where I drafted him. He started out slowly last year as well, but it is worth noting that in that particular April he still hit for decent power despite the lack of HRs and still got on base at a pretty good clip. That hasn't been the case this year. In addition while he might be good for HR he isn't going to help you in many other categories. I also found him to be killer in a H2H league because he was such a feast or famine player which is often the case with high K guys. Miami has not been a high scoring team so far and last season despite hitting 34 home runs he only drove in 87 and scored 79 times. I don't see that changing much even if he does regain his power stroke and given that he had nagging injuries for most of last year you have to wonder about his health. As you've already noted the knee and the new park are concerns particularly since he doesn't hit that many fly balls, but rather relies on knocking a large portion of the fly balls he hits out of the park. If you can get another player of comparable value instead of Stanton I would personally go for that.

Would you take Stanton if you only had to give up Ortiz and Altuve? (hence, leaving the SP out of it)

In a vacuum I'm going to say no because I think Ortiz is going to have a monster year (when was the last time he was this good in April?) and since Stanton relies so much on his HR power to provide value I worry about his knee (which he has basically admitted is a chronic issue he will deal with all season) and the new park. I think Ortiz will outperform Stanton in the majority of the categories you are scored on. That being said Stanton being an OF you might find more useful. I still want to say no, but how big of a deal is it to your team that he can play OF?
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions