Mat Latos - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mat Latos

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mat Latos

Postby silverZ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 pm

What is everyone's opinion on him? I haven't gotten a chance to see him pitch this year so all I have to go on are the numbers, which are conflicting.. Clearly he won't be as bad as he's been due to a .373 BABIP and 57% LOB. What really worries me is his K rate is way down, his walk rate is up, and he's playing half his game in that Cinci bandbox. His fastball velocity is the same as it was last year... :-?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mat Latos

Postby juliown1028 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Wouldn't worry too much, its only been 3 starts. After 3 starts last year he had issued 9 walks in 16.2 IP and also had a 5.94 ERA, this year its 8 walks in 15.1 IP. His ERA is a bit higher this year, but he's always been pretty bad out of the gates to the start of the season the last couple seasons. 5.94 ERA after 3 starts in 2011, 6.20 ERA after 4 starts in 2010.

People may say he's giving up more HRs in Cincy but so far he's only allowed 2 HRs, 1 in Cincy (in 1 start there) but in 2011 after 3 starts he had allowed 5 HRs already, 4 of those HRs at Petco Park, but still ended up only allowing 16 HRs for the season.

He's getting somewhat unlucky and also not doing himself many favors either by typically starting off slow like he does. Just takes him a while to get into a groove apparently. I think its most of these factors rather than the ballpark that are killing him and look for him to get better as the weather warms up.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Mat Latos

Postby West » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm

He'll come around.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)