4/23 Cheering-Venting & who's starting Morrow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/23 Cheering-Venting & who's starting Morrow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 4/23 Cheering-Venting & who's starting Morrow

Postby mweir145 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:47 am

Morrow's not striking guys out and getting groundballs? I don't even know who he is anymore.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 4/23 Cheering-Venting & who's starting Morrow

Postby ayebatter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:29 am

mweir145 wrote:Morrow's not striking guys out and getting groundballs? I don't even know who he is anymore.
\

He.................is..........not...............the.............arm...............I.............drafted :-[
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12143
(Past Year: 1446)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: 4/23 Cheering-Venting & who's starting Morrow

Postby mweir145 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:00 am

ayebatter wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Morrow's not striking guys out and getting groundballs? I don't even know who he is anymore.
\

He.................is..........not...............the.............arm...............I.............drafted :-[

Yeah, I'm really puzzled by Brandon Morrow’s pitching right now. His stuff is basically the same as it’s ever been, but he’s not getting the same results with that stuff at all through four starts. Morrow’s swinging strike rate and strikeout rate are way down from what they’ve been in the past, but his GB% is way up.

Also in the past, Morrow has gotten a ton of whiffs and infield flies off his FB. That just hasn’t happened so far this year (even before tonight’s game, his infield fly rate was significantly down at 3.4% compared to the usual 9.4% and I mentioned the lower than normal strikeout rates).

And looking at the PitchFX for tonight’s game, he actually got zero whiffs tonight on his fastball, a statistic that’s hard to believe considering what he did in 2010 and 2011 with that pitch. While the velocity is still clearly there, could it be that he’s throwing his four-seamer differently in a way that’s made it more hittable? In any case, he seems to be making a concerted effort to change his approach and pitch deeper into the games (as the Jays apparently wanted him to). We’re only four starts in, but if this is the beginning of a trend, I’m not sure it’s a good one at all.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 4/23 Cheering-Venting & who's starting Morrow

Postby rich101682 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 am

I watched the Morrow start and he just looked very...hittable. Everyone on the Royals were making contact. Like you said, not a lot of swinging and missing.. FB was around 94 the whole time.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 841
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 24 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/23 Cheering-Venting & who's starting Morrow

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:48 am

mweir145 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Morrow's not striking guys out and getting groundballs? I don't even know who he is anymore.
\

He.................is..........not...............the.............arm...............I.............drafted :-[

Yeah, I'm really puzzled by Brandon Morrow’s pitching right now. His stuff is basically the same as it’s ever been, but he’s not getting the same results with that stuff at all through four starts. Morrow’s swinging strike rate and strikeout rate are way down from what they’ve been in the past, but his GB% is way up.

Also in the past, Morrow has gotten a ton of whiffs and infield flies off his FB. That just hasn’t happened so far this year (even before tonight’s game, his infield fly rate was significantly down at 3.4% compared to the usual 9.4% and I mentioned the lower than normal strikeout rates).

And looking at the PitchFX for tonight’s game, he actually got zero whiffs tonight on his fastball, a statistic that’s hard to believe considering what he did in 2010 and 2011 with that pitch. While the velocity is still clearly there, could it be that he’s throwing his four-seamer differently in a way that’s made it more hittable? In any case, he seems to be making a concerted effort to change his approach and pitch deeper into the games (as the Jays apparently wanted him to). We’re only four starts in, but if this is the beginning of a trend, I’m not sure it’s a good one at all.


94-97mph down in the zone is easier to hit(less Ks), albeit usually weak groundballs(higher GB%). 94-97mph up in the zone is harder to hit(more K's) and if you do make contact more pop outs will show up(higher IFFB%). Is it as simple as him pitching down in the zone more?

...I guess the PitchFX may show this...I don't want to look it up though. :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 421)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cardsfan and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact