Dynasty Keeper League, no contracts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Dynasty Keeper League, no contracts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Keeper League, no contracts

Postby Olssox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:33 am

I guess the title says it "all" but I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do.

Me and my brother started this NL-only keeper league (25 keepers!). I'm very much a beginner with fantasy baseball but we were both recently bitten by baseball and want to have some long-term fun together with friends without having to worry about difficult things like auctions and contracts.

My questions is: Is it at ALL feasible to run a dynasty keeper league in this way? I'm very aware that it's not(!) optimal but I want to know if it can be done at all and what minor changes can be made to make it work better... Changing the amount keepers to a lower number is not an option, and in the future I would like to be able to even increase the amount keepers (maybe already to the 2014 season).
Olssox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Keeper League, no contracts

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am

The fun part of Fantasy Baseball is picking the players and improving your team as the season goes. It sounds like to me that you do not want to do that part of it and just want to have a team and let it sit for the season and the one with the best score at the end wins. == This is certainly can be done but you are losing most of the fun from building your team. It only takes three or four hours one time a year to get together and have your draft (or you can do it on the internet). I think you are missing out on most of the fun of the game.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Olssox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:32 am

Well, we have 60-man rosters with 8 teams so the idea is more to trade with each other rather than picking FA's. There are really no good players to pick up ;)

Putting the right guy in the lineup every day is plenty of fun and a break from another league we are in with way to many good players on the FA.
Last edited by Olssox on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olssox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Olssox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 am

I might add that it's a H2H league, with daily lineups so I probably spend an hour a day with the team already. No "let it sit for the season" :)
Olssox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 am

How are you picking your players at the beginning of the season. Do you each take the roster of a NL team?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Olssox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 am

This year it was a snake draft.

That's obviously not the ultimate solution for the future, specially not if we are going to have a lot of keepers. My biggest fear is that the league is going to be horribly unbalanced in a few years...
Olssox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 am

One more thing I might note is that since you have all of the players in the NL on rosters, as you said there are no FA. The teams at the top of the league are going to be content with their team and not trade. The ones who start off with bad teams are not going to have any way to improve their team. This makes a league die pretty quick. The other league you were in that had plenty of FA, is bad on the other end of the scale. If you are in a league where 50% of the players are on a roster and the other 50% are FA, it works pretty good. Most of the good players are on rosters but there are still some to be picked up in FA. This is the way most leagues work. You seem pretty happy with the way your league is and that is fine. You were asking for advice and I am just telling you the pitfalls of a league where all the players are on rosters. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Olssox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 am

I really appreciate your thoughts! It is a concern of mine that there is not going to be enough trades, and if so I might rethink the format for another time.

What about the more long term effects (thinking more 5-10 years rather than one season)? The idea is after all some kind of dynasty league. Would a "normal" (opposite of snake) draft next year help teams with worse rosters? My thought could then be to let last team draft first, winner draft last, like IRL). What other ways are there to balance a league like this? (anyone can answer, not forcing you bigmck)
Olssox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:37 am

It doesn't matter what the draft order is, if there are no good players in the FA pool, the last place team can't improve. One thing you could do to help the bottom teams is put a three year limit on a player being kept. If he is on a roster for three consecutive years (could be multiple teams) he must be dropped to the FA pool after the third season. This helps put good players in the Draft each year and gives the guy on the bottom a chance to improve.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Olssox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm

The idea is that we are supposed to keep younger players that will help us maybe 5 years from now, those are the ones we are drafting in the off-season... That's also why I want many keepers, for there to be room for such players in the rosters.
Olssox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner