Joe Saunders - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Saunders

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Saunders

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:45 pm

I've always thought of this guy as a perfectly mediocre pitcher... the type of guy who can be streamed occasionally in deeper leagues but shoudn't actually be used full-time. But he's pulled off 3 straight very solid starts starts....is he more of a guy who needs to be owned full-time now in deeper leagues, or does this not change anyone's opinion of him? I feel like he might be the type of guy who you pick up (say, somewhere between 80th and 100th best-starter) who you play and start when he has good matchups (instead of being a guy who you only play when he has great matchups).
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joe Saunders

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:48 pm

He's pitched pretty well for sure (not sub-2 ERA well, but well none the less). If his K and BB rates remain at the levels they have his first 3 starts he's going to be more useful and a more solid streaming option given the division he's in. But I can't imagine his HR/FB rate stays where it's at. I think this is more of a hot start, which he's done in the middle of seasons before, and not much else.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Almost any pitcher is worth owning with the right matchup. I think you can find better options to spot start unless you are in an NL only league or something to be honest.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 am

His hot start involves games against San Diego (@Petco) and Pittsburgh, two teams that Philip Humber would not have a hard time throwing a perfect game against. He's at best a spot-start option in my opinion.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Return to Baseball Leftovers