Matt Moore: Unimpressive Thus Far - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Moore: Unimpressive Thus Far

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Moore: Unimpressive Thus Far

Postby juliown1028 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:49 pm

I know there are many Matt Moore believers out there, but I'm kinda thinking he has a Tim Lincecum/David Price rookie-esque season. I feel like he will definitely dominate next season and in future seasons, but I'm not entirely convinced of this season so far. I had him on one team but was somehow able to ship him out and Fernando Rodney for Lester (the other team was desperate for saves apparently).

Of course I could definitely be wrong, but I feel like with these type of rookie pitchers its either they dominate (like Strasburg/Liriano/Weaver) or they do something like "eh, not so bad." (like Price/Lincecum) in their rookie seasons. But I guess it was that upside many people drafted so high on him for.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jorgesca » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Does Moore really have stuff comparable to Strasburg's?
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:36 pm

I think I'll sit him his next time out vs LAA (thankfully he just misses TEX), but the thought of trading him hasn't come close to entering my mind, nor can I imagine it should have in any of his owners' minds. If you drafted him where you did, and are ready to trade him before Memorial Day, you shouldn't have drafted him to begin with.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby bayside » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

juliown1028 wrote:I know there are many Matt Moore believers out there, but I'm kinda thinking he has a Tim Lincecum/David Price rookie-esque season.

Timmy had 9.25 K/9 in his rookie season and era of 4.00
Ill gladly take 185+ K's out of my #3 SP. Lincecum also had a really poor 4 BB/9 so if Moore can do just a little better in that regard his era/whip should be a touch better as well
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Problem with this is that I'm not sure he's actually going to improve too much over the year. He's a good pitcher, but the AL (and the AL East especially) is a really tough place to pitch. Furthermore there are some very smart offenses in that division, so I think as he sees these opponents for the second and third times he also may struggle more. I think hes keeping on your team as a back-end piece of your rotation, but if you can get a top-100 or even a top-150 player for him (ADP was just outside the top 100), I would go ahead and do it in a redraft league.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 am

jorgesca wrote:Does Moore really have stuff comparable to Strasburg's?

I don't think anybody does, to be honest.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:53 am

Moore did have questions about his control early in his minor league career. If you look at the numbers he appeared to solve them but he might have been completely overpowered hitters and his BB/9 numbers were deceiving.

BUT we're talking about a 21/22 yr old rookie after 3-4 starts. If this was a veteran pitcher then I would be saying that he didn't quite get ready in spring training and hadn't found his control yet. I think Moore will be fine and is only a step below Strasburg while still being a step above almost every other SP'ing prospect.

IIRC ADP in my cafe leagues was well inside the top 100. He got some crazy hype here and was drafted a little too high for me to feel comfortable with.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:07 am

Thinking of trying to trade for him..but the guy in my league must really like him, took him in the 6th round ahead of guys like Gallardo,Shields, and Cain 8-o
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benb18a » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:26 am

Yeah...good luck with that. lol @ trying to draft a guy based on upside right around the normal production of guys you pass up.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 am

benb18a wrote:Yeah...good luck with that. lol @ trying to draft a guy based on upside right around the normal production of guys you pass up.

Yeah betwen him and Lawrie it got a bit crazy. I like both of them but not nearly enough to spend such a high pick. Moore should turn it around, but these are the risks you take when you invest so much in a guy with no MLB track record. There was a lot of crazy talk in this thread.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers