Impact Rookie Pitcher Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Impact Rookie Pitcher Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Impact Rookie Pitcher Watch

Postby BigZ38 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:43 pm

I'll get it started.

Daniel Hudson to the DL, Josh Collmenter sucking...Only a matter of time before we potentially see Bauer or Skaggs?

Not sure why everyone worries about service time on these young stud pitchers. If they're good you're going to lock them up anyway, and if they suck then it's not going to matter.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Impact Rookie Pitcher Watch

Postby Tennessee Jed » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Bauer Watch: Tonight's line... 7 shutout innings, 4 hits, 2 bb, 8 k's
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Element » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Per Rotoworld:

Oakland prospect Jarrod Parker went 2 2/3 innings in an abbreviated outing for Triple-A Sacramento on Wednesday, fueling speculation that he will join the Athletics rotation on Wednesday against the White Sox.
With Graham Godfrey designated for assignment on Saturday, everything appears to be lined up perfectly for Parker to step in and make his MLB debut. He possesses a world of potential, and is very worthy of a speculative pickup in most leagues.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby benb18a » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Estrada will likely get the start in place of the injured Chris Narveson on Saturday.

Recommendation: Estrada filled in for an injured Zach Greinke early last year and pitched well. He may end up in the rotation for an extended period if the injury to Narveson is severe.
(Rotowire.com)

Marco Estrada got the start for the Brewers in place of Chris Narveson, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a torn left rotator cuff. Estrada, who had a career-high nine strikeouts in five innings, retired 11 of the first 12 hitters he faced.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Re: Impact Rookie Pitcher Watch

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:31 am

Element wrote:Per Rotoworld: Oakland prospect Jarrod Parker went 2 2/3 innings in an abbreviated outing for Triple-A Sacramento on Wednesday, fueling speculation that he will join the Athletics rotation on Wednesday against the White Sox.
With Graham Godfrey designated for assignment on Saturday, everything appears to be lined up perfectly for Parker to step in and make his MLB debut. He possesses a world of potential, and is very worthy of a speculative pickup in most leagues.
thank you. I found my replacement for Noesi. I actually drafted Parker and switched him out for Noesi when he got sent down, so things have gone full circle.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:46 am

I tend to avoid rookie pitchers even if they have big upside. They are just way too erratic and they usually have some sort of innings restrictions. Draft for depth in pitching and let other owners live or die by the rookies. Even in keeper leagues I tend to avoid them because your keepers should be hitting heavy not pitching heavy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:21 am

I guess that explains why you are poo -poohing anybody picking up on Detwiler.

I'll never spend big on pitching cus it's usually pretty damn deep. Id rather get my bats first.
Last season I rode Pineda, Beachy and Luebke to the promise land. This young season it's Minor, Detwiler and hopefully Parker. If they hit an innings cap, who cares, it's usually the last month of the season and you'll have a good idea of where you stand or what your needs are for a final push.

And it's not like we are talking about any major risk here cus they are generally waiver guys. It's actually part of my strategy and I've been very successful with it over the years. I've been known to not even draft my first pitcher till the 9th round or later.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:24 am

I'm fine with not drafting a pitcher until the 9th round, it is about depth not about studs. I play in pretty deep leagues and it is really hard to find guys like you suggested off the FA list because if they have any upside at all they are on a roster so I just can't go with that route for my pitching. As for Detwiler, it has nothing to do with him being a rookie, it is about him being a low upside rookie (pretty sure he isn't a rookie at this point either). Guys like Bauer and Parker actually have real upside, Detwiler has maybe Ted Lilly style upside, just not worth it.

To point at guys who weren't drafted in many leagues, a guy like Humber or Capuano or Niemann or Niese has more value than most of these rookies that people chase, they have a little less upside but much higher floors and aren't likely to just kill your team like the guy who chased a Matutz or a Weiland or a Noesi etc. Those kinds of pure rookies are a much better draft and stick on the bench and see what they do for a couple month type players than they are a draft and just start type of guy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:30 am

Ender wrote:I tend to avoid rookie pitchers even if they have big upside. They are just way too erratic and they usually have some sort of innings restrictions. Draft for depth in pitching and let other owners live or die by the rookies. Even in keeper leagues I tend to avoid them because your keepers should be hitting heavy not pitching heavy.

To each their own. I'd like to have a thread that updates on them.

I'm always looking for cheap pitching and in head-to-head I can live with the ups and downs. I've picked up rookie pitchers and had a lot of success. Last year Vance Worley and Brandon Beachy we're amazing back end help.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby smoovethug » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 am

wrveres wrote:it's usually the last month of the season and you'll have a good idea of where you stand or what your needs are for a final push.

Unless of course you play h2h then you're up the creek. :-o

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers