Nats being in contention + Strasburg's inning cap = ??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nats being in contention + Strasburg's inning cap = ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nats being in contention + Strasburg's inning cap = ???

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:32 am

Well they could always stick him on the DL for a bit in say June/ July and buy a few weeks that way. They could also play around with the rotation around the all-star break and buy a little time there.
I really wouldn't worry about it too much with regards to fantasy.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:52 am

I agree I think they maybe give him two starts off around the all-star break...maybe another "DL" stint for 15 days.

If they're in the postseason, I think as long as they haven't blown through the cap, they'll extend him 25 innings.

160 is an arbitrary number.

As a Cubs fan who watched the downfall of Mark Prior, I pray that Strasburg stays healthy. I enjoy watching him pitch and hope he is able to be a starter for a long time.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:55 am

I guess I should become a Nats fan, lol, unless the Crew is fighting for a WC spot. It bothers me that, worst case scenario, Strasburg is shut down in August. Maybe we can start an online petition, and send it to the Nats, and make sure they are aware of the many scenarios in which Strasburg pitches in September but doesn't exceed 160 IP for the season :-b
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benb18a » Thu May 24, 2012 2:10 am

Anybody have any news or rumors regarding Strassy? We're approaching 1/3 of the season, Nats have the second best record in the league...
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby benb18a » Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 am

This is a couple weeks old, but it's pretty much the latest I can find on the issue; looks like the limit is still on despite their first place standing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1181 ... s-still-on

We've had many conflicting statements regarding Stephen Strasburg's infamous innings limit over the past several weeks, and now we can add another to the list.

Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson told Tony Meale of MLB.com on Saturday that Strasburg's 160-inning limit is still on, and that he won't be skipping any starts.

This statement comes on the heels of this statement by general manager Mike Rizzo (via Yahoo! Sports):

Look, the media put (the 160-innings limit) out there, not me. It probably comes from what Jordan Zimmermann pitched last year.

I don't have a specific pitch count in my mind, a specific innings count in my mind. I am going to refer to my experience as a farm director, as a player development guy, and knowing his body. In conjunction with Davey Johnson and (pitching coach) Steve McCatty, when we feel he's had enough, we're going to shut him down.

That statement came on the heels of this:

He’s not on a pitch limit for the year,” Rizzo said. “We’re going to control his innings at the end, and when I feel he’s had enough innings, we’re gonna shut him down. So there’s no limit per game for Davey, there’s no innings limit per game for Davey. We’re gonna treat him like a normal, young 23-year old starter. And when I feel he’s had enough innings and enough pitches thrown, then I’m gonna pull the plug on him and we’re gonna rest him, like we did with Jordan Zimmermann.

These conflicting reports have led to some confusion in the baseball world as to whether or not Strasburg actually has an innings limit, but Johnson's most recent remarks suggest that he does.

Strasburg has been dominant through seven starts in 2012, striking out 51 in 44 innings and posting an ERA of 1.64.

He's been a large part of the best rotation in the National League, and there's no doubt that the team will suffer a big blow when he finally gets shut down.

As of today, that point seems to be at 160 innings.

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers