Drop Someone to Activate BJ Upton? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop Someone to Activate BJ Upton? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop Someone to Activate BJ Upton? WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 pm

I have the option to drop someone now to activate BJ Upton or wait until Sunday to activate him when the following trade processes and frees up a roster spot:

My Luebke, H.Alvarez and LaRoche for his Jordan Zimmermann and LaHair

Should I just wait and not drop anyone or should I drop someone to activate Upton for Friday?

12 Team H2H Daily with 6 Keepers Season to Season, each for 3 years max. * means a keeper entering this season
Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

MY CURRENT TEAM

C Alex Avila
1B Prince Fielder*
2B Dustin Pedroia*
3B Miguel Cabrera*
SS Hanley Ramirez*
OF Austin Jackson
OF JD Martinez
OF Delmon Young
UT David Ortiz
UT Jesus Montero
UT Bryan LaHair
DL Jacoby Ellsbury
DL BJ Upton
DL Carl Crawford

SP Roy Halladay*
SP Cole Hamels
SP Ian Kennedy
RP Sergio Santos
RP Grant Balfour
P Hector Santiago
P Aroldis Chapman
P Ricky Romero
BN Brandon Beachy
BN Jordan Zimmermann
BN Chris Sale
BN Danny Duffy
DL Doug Fister
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop Someone to Activate BJ Upton? WHIR

Postby hot4tx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Question: if Upton comes off the DL but is still listed in your team's DL spot when the trade goes through will it stop the trade from going through? Might want to get clarification on that. You could always hope he doesn't get switched from DL in your league until after the trade goes through and go with that.

Honestly I'm not sold on LaHair being more than a filler fantasy producer this year and I don't think Luebke and Zimmerman are that far off. Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not huge on your trade. It's been accepted so you gotta honor it. If you have to drop someone to make the trade go through I think I'd drop JD Martinez or Austin Jackson. Not that I'd want to drop those guys, but that's the most droppable on your team. I honestly think I'd wait and hope that it goes through and then Upton comes off DL.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 147)

Postby sigriffey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 pm

hot4tx wrote:Question: if Upton comes off the DL but is still listed in your team's DL spot when the trade goes through will it stop the trade from going through? Might want to get clarification on that. You could always hope he doesn't get switched from DL in your league until after the trade goes through and go with that.

Honestly I'm not sold on LaHair being more than a filler fantasy producer this year and I don't think Luebke and Zimmerman are that far off. Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not huge on your trade. It's been accepted so you gotta honor it. If you have to drop someone to make the trade go through I think I'd drop JD Martinez or Austin Jackson. Not that I'd want to drop those guys, but that's the most droppable on your team. I honestly think I'd wait and hope that it goes through and then Upton comes off DL.

Well here's the specifics behind the deal:

I had tried hard to get Jordan Zimmermann because I like his consistency and low whip... great for H2H leagues.
The guy was only willing to do it if I gave him Beachy and H.Alvarez ... an epic overpay IMO. So I asked about a package around Luebke.
He refused until one day he found he had used his 4 moves for the week and had his eye on Adam LaRoche.
He told me that if I pick up LaRoche for him then he would give me Zimmermann for a Luebke package.
So I dropped Jon Jay (since Upton is returning and I just dealt for Austin Jackson anyway), grabbed LaRoche and did the deal.
The way I see it, LaHair is filler for now. When Crawford or Fister returns, I will probably dump him. The extra roster spot this trade opens up allows me to hang onto Danny Duffy longer as well, since I no longer have to dump him to activate BJ Upton.

As for Upton, he is not currently taking up a roster spot. When the deal goes through, I will have an extra roster spot because it's a 3 for 2. So I will then activate him and slot him in.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby hot4tx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Yeah but sometimes if a player not still listed as DL by your league provider (Yahoo, ESPN, ect) is still in your DL spot it will not let transactions (add/drops, waivers, trades) go through. You might want to check that out. Like I said I'd probably try to wait it out instead of dropping those guys.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sigriffey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:51 pm

hot4tx wrote:Yeah but sometimes if a player not still listed as DL by your league provider (Yahoo, ESPN, ect) is still in your DL spot it will not let transactions (add/drops, waivers, trades) go through. You might want to check that out. Like I said I'd probably try to wait it out instead of dropping those guys.

Oh, I know what you mean ... I hate it when they do that. Would dropping a player make that more or less likely to happen?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby hot4tx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:25 pm

If Upton comes off the DL (or you think he will the same night that the trade goes through) then if you drop a player and take Upton off your DL then your trade shouldn't have any problems. I might wait and hope for the best though, but that's something to think about. Maybe Austin Jackson?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions