Trade Ubaldo for Bonifacio? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Ubaldo for Bonifacio? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Ubaldo for Bonifacio? WHIR

Postby slomojo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Hey guys--

I am in a ten team keeper league, head-to-head (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP / W, K, SV, ERA, WHIP). You can set lineups daily.

I am considering trading Ubaldo Jimenez for Emilio Bonifacio, because 1) I need some steals, 2) I'm not a huge JJ Hardy fan, and 3) My lineup is already pretty stacked with power, which is what Hardy brings to my lineup

Is Ubaldo too much to give up? I like my pitching, but it is not great. Do I pull the trigger, offer something else, stay put with Hardy ... what do you guys think? I have Ted Lilly on the DL but I need to activate him, and I could drop Francisco Cordero to make room for Lilly. Cordero is only on my roster as a handcuff for Santos because of his early troubles. If I ended up trading a pitcher for Bonifacio, I wouldn't really want Hardy on my bench, but I'm not sure if he is droppable. I'll help in return if you leave a link. Here is my roster:

C Miguel Montero
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Rickie Weeks
3B Miguel Cabrera
SS JJ Hardy
OF Carlos Gonzalez
OF Justin Upton
OF Curtis Granderson
UTIL David Ortiz
BN Mark Trumbo
BN Bryce Harper

SP Tim Lincecum
SP Tommy Hanson
SP Matt Garza
SP Alfredo Aceves
RP Sergio Santos
RP Joe Nathan
P Jonathan Broxton
P Matt Capps
BN Cory Luebke
BN Ubaldo Jimenez
BN Mark Buehrle
BN Francisco Cordero
BN Francisco Liriano
DL Ted Lilly
DL Kyle Farnsworth
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Ubaldo for Bonifacio? WHIR

Postby silverZ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:19 pm

I would stand pat. I'm not a fan of Ubaldo anymore, his velocity has never returned to his allstar 2010 form, but you wouldn't play Bonifacio enough to be worth losing a mid tier pitcher.

Drop Cordero for Lilly. Santos is going to be a stud.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby paisano1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:22 pm

I like this trade a lot. Not sure how many keepers you get each year, but I would ask for some kind of a pick back. Nothing special maybe his 8th for your 12th if you guys have a 4 person keeper league.

Your line up is currently all power and hardy will prob. hurt you somewhat. On top of all that I don't think you really need Ubaldo as your pitching is pretty solid.
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby slomojo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:31 pm

silverZ wrote:I would stand pat. I'm not a fan of Ubaldo anymore, his velocity has never returned to his allstar 2010 form, but you wouldn't play Bonifacio enough to be worth losing a mid tier pitcher.

Drop Cordero for Lilly. Santos is going to be a stud.

I would want to play Bonifacio as my everyday SS. I don't really think Hardy brings much to my team, since I've already got so much power. On the other hand, my steals are weak - only my OF are steals guys, and all are around the 20 steals range. Bonifacio could steal 40 or 50 with Ozzie, who loves to run.

The question is if it's worth it to lose a mid tier pitcher for an upgrade on my everyday shortstop. Yes, I could play Hardy as my everyday shortstop, but Bonifacio fills a need. That's where I'm coming from with my logic.
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby unkle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:38 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx? ... P&pitch=FA

according to pitchfx his velocity is down. to me its a a battle of who has battle of upside. last year bonifacio met his ceiling which is around 40 seals with 5 HRs. he might get a bump in runs scored but depends on whether you think the marlins are due for a jump

jimenez its hard to tell. outside of an elite 2010 year he had okay years in 09 and 11. with down velocity its hard to know who the real jimenez is

iw ould say probably a good idea to get a back up for hardy. he hit 30 hrs because he did not get injured. whether he can replicate an injury free year is to be seen.

i would say its a fine baseball trade. jimenez has higher ceiling, but bonifacio has better chance of repeating last years stats

thanks for your help with mine
please help with my team! WHIR!

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=450731
unkle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wannasoda321 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:47 pm

I wouldn't do this. Bonifacio will get steals, 100%, but face value, ubaldo is way better. An unbalanced team is not always worse than a balanced one
wannasoda321
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sigriffey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:05 pm

So I may be biased here, but I personally think Ubaldo is a bum. Just not consistent. I always feel like he's hiding an injury or otherwise is incapable of stringing together quality starts. Bonifacio isn't a sexy SS option, but to me, he's a nicer play than Hardy and diversifies your offense.

If I had Ubaldo I'd ship him for Bonifacio, but I say that because the guy in my league would ask for a lot more for him. Justified? I dunno, but in this case, I kind of like the deal.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 314)

Postby paisano1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 pm

I really like what sigriffey said. The guy is a complete piece of shit. I also feel like he hides injuries as well. Huge wild card. Get rid of him.
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby jruffus1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for the response.

I would make this trade. I do not believe that Jimenez will ever reclaim his 2010 form and you'd benefit more from a SS that can swipe over 50 bags. I like Bonifacio on your roster much more than Hardy.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)

Postby RPDfire007 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 pm

paisano1 wrote:I really like what sigriffey said. The guy is a complete piece of shit. I also feel like he hides injuries as well. Huge wild card. Get rid of him.

;-D

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=444427
RPDfire007
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions