Trout Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trout Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trout Watch

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:18 am

thatguy27 wrote:I think the best comp is Carl Crawford, with Trout's ceiling being the player we kept hoping for years that Crawford would become but always fell just short of. I think Trout has the ability to become that player--so, Carl Crawford (Tampa Bay version) with further upside is IMO the best comp.


Defensively, they're not even close.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trout Watch

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:58 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:I think the best comp is Carl Crawford, with Trout's ceiling being the player we kept hoping for years that Crawford would become but always fell just short of. I think Trout has the ability to become that player--so, Carl Crawford (Tampa Bay version) with further upside is IMO the best comp.


Defensively, they're not even close.


No doubt. I'm simply referring to fantasy impact.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 777
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Colorado

Re: Trout Watch

Postby bayside » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 am

so Jacoby Ellsbury, v. 2011?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1344
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WHOOOOOS got it better than us?

Re: Trout Watch

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:54 pm

bayside wrote:so Jacoby Ellsbury, v. 2011?



No, that's still too much power. I'm sure where you fellas are getting your info, but Mike Trout won't ever hit 30 HR in a season. He's a 20 HR, 50 SB kind of guy, ala Carl Crawford. He may hit 13 one season, and 22 the next, but If he hits 25 in any season, that'll be the most he hits.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 748)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Re: Trout Watch

Postby machine3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't think Jacoby Ellsbury will ever be Jacoby Ellsbury 2011 again. Let's not forget that he never even reached double digit HRs in any other season.
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1010
Joined: 2 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trout Watch

Postby bayside » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 am

rjforlife wrote:
bayside wrote:so Jacoby Ellsbury, v. 2011?



No, that's still too much power. I'm sure where you fellas are getting your info, but Mike Trout won't ever hit 30 HR in a season. He's a 20 HR, 50 SB kind of guy, ala Carl Crawford. He may hit 13 one season, and 22 the next, but If he hits 25 in any season, that'll be the most he hits.

Thats exactly what everyone said about Ellsbury before last year.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1344
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WHOOOOOS got it better than us?

Re: Trout Watch

Postby bayside » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:44 am

machine3 wrote:I don't think Jacoby Ellsbury will ever be Jacoby Ellsbury 2011 again. Let's not forget that he never even reached double digit HRs in any other season.


Lets not forget that his only prior full seasons were at age 24 and 25, and were his only 2 full MLB seasons up to that time.
Really, we dont know what a "typical" Ellsbury season is at this point.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1344
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: WHOOOOOS got it better than us?

Re: Trout Watch

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:24 am

bayside wrote:
rjforlife wrote:
bayside wrote:so Jacoby Ellsbury, v. 2011?



No, that's still too much power. I'm sure where you fellas are getting your info, but Mike Trout won't ever hit 30 HR in a season. He's a 20 HR, 50 SB kind of guy, ala Carl Crawford. He may hit 13 one season, and 22 the next, but If he hits 25 in any season, that'll be the most he hits.

Thats exactly what everyone said about Ellsbury before last year.



That's also what they said about Crawford, and his career high is 19. What's your point? I just don't think the power is there, and there is no evidence to suggest that he will ever hit 25 or more HR.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 748)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Re: Trout Watch

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 am

rjforlife wrote:
bayside wrote:
rjforlife wrote:

No, that's still too much power. I'm sure where you fellas are getting your info, but Mike Trout won't ever hit 30 HR in a season. He's a 20 HR, 50 SB kind of guy, ala Carl Crawford. He may hit 13 one season, and 22 the next, but If he hits 25 in any season, that'll be the most he hits.

Thats exactly what everyone said about Ellsbury before last year.



That's also what they said about Crawford, and his career high is 19. What's your point? I just don't think the power is there, and there is no evidence to suggest that he will ever hit 25 or more HR.

+1
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 390)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trout Watch

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm

J35J wrote:
rjforlife wrote:
bayside wrote:Thats exactly what everyone said about Ellsbury before last year.



That's also what they said about Crawford, and his career high is 19. What's your point? I just don't think the power is there, and there is no evidence to suggest that he will ever hit 25 or more HR.

+1


Boy, I don't know - I've heard a few well respected scout types comp him to Grady Sizemore with slightly less power and quite a bit more BA. To me that sounds like someone who will hit more than 19-25 HR a season, and their opinions are what drives my thoughts on that. Trout has more projectable pop that Crawford from what I've seen, and I have to think that he won't remain an "80" runner forever and will move into the middle of the order at some point, where he'd be even more likely to realize a heightened level of future power than I'm hearing here. I'd be shocked if he ever sniffed 40, and 35 is probably a stretch, but taking a 19-year-old's brief MiLB track record with limited power and completely ignoring projection seems a bit rash to me. 25-32 sounds pretty doable, with a couple of spikes either way IMO ...
Image
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7201
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Guardedly optimistic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armandopn and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact