100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trout Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trout Watch

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:56 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
silverZ wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:The post was written with the the hope that those pointless posts might stop, or at least become less frequent.

You're kind of shooting yourself in the foot here. Just don't open the thread if you don't want to see people gushing about Trout's big days. :-P

They're almost all big days. That's my point. We get it now. The guy is a beast.
It's difficult to criticize the excited, though. Guys are getting first round production out of a guy they took a late round flyer on, or better yet, plucked off of Free Agency. Not in deep keeper/dynasty formats, but in standard leagues. The guy has been the best player in the league for the last three months, and hasn't shown a single sign of slowing down. We don't see excitement like this for Pujols, Braun, etc. because a) we've come to expect it, and b) we spent a pick on them that necessitates them playing at that level to earn their value. With Trout, neither is the case. It's been a non-stop waiting game for him to cool off even a slight bit, and he hasn't even taken a step in that direction. It's unbelievable. There's no other analysis to be done at this point. We don't have a big enough sample. There's no sense in getting bent out of shape over it. It kind of is what it is for now. We won't have any worthwhile forward moving conversation on Trout until he slumps or over the off-season when we speculate what he'll do in 2013. Let those who are reaping the benefits now, though (I wish I was one of them) enjoy the ride.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby machine3 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:
silverZ wrote:
You're kind of shooting yourself in the foot here. Just don't open the thread if you don't want to see people gushing about Trout's big days. :-P

They're almost all big days. That's my point. We get it now. The guy is a beast.
It's difficult to criticize the excited, though. Guys are getting first round production out of a guy they took a late round flyer on, or better yet, plucked off of Free Agency. Not in deep keeper/dynasty formats, but in standard leagues. The guy has been the best player in the league for the last three months, and hasn't shown a single sign of slowing down. We don't see excitement like this for Pujols, Braun, etc. because a) we've come to expect it, and b) we spent a pick on them that necessitates them playing at that level to earn their value. With Trout, neither is the case. It's been a non-stop waiting game for him to cool off even a slight bit, and he hasn't even taken a step in that direction. It's unbelievable. There's no other analysis to be done at this point. We don't have a big enough sample. There's no sense in getting bent out of shape over it. It kind of is what it is for now. We won't have any worthwhile forward moving conversation on Trout until he slumps or over the off-season when we speculate what he'll do in 2013. Let those who are reaping the benefits now, though (I wish I was one of them) enjoy the ride.

Good post. When was the last time (if ever) a player finished #1 in the rankings after 1. missing an entire month and 2. not even being drafted in most non-keeper leagues? And instead of crashing back to earth, he seems to only get better as the season goes on.
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Izenhart » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:22 pm

In three months of play time when the rest of the league has had four, a 20 year old rookie is leading the league in Runs, Stolen Bases and Batting Average. Oh and he has 18 home runs.

His 162 game average for his numbers this season are
.348-160-36-109-61

I can't think of any player, EVER, to have a season like that, so for anyone to have a half season worth of those numbers as a 20 year old is astounding. I don't know what else besides amazement and wonder you could possibly expect to see in a thread like this at this point.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby thatguy27 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:07 am

Fair points. Apologies all around fellas.

I would like to reiterate, though, that it was never about sour grapes. Sure, I wish I owned him--I'm jealous as hell of the guy in my keeper league who bought him for $1 this year. But I'm a baseball fan first and fantasy player second. I'm in awe of Trout just like the rest of you and I absolutely love what he's doing for baseball right now. As the previous poster said, it truly is unprecedented (save for Maybe Pujols' rookie season, which I dare say was nowhere near as incredible as what Trout is on pace to accomplish), and the likes of which we may never see again.

I guess what I want to see more of is insight from those who get to watch him every day. Specific things he is doing that are leading to such amazing success. Any indications that his numbers are a bit flukey. Of course they'll come back down to earth. They have to... I think. But how far back down. Things like that.

Anyway, sorry again guys. Enjoy the Trout.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BigZ38 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:25 am

Went to the Sox-Angels game tonight. Trout I think was 2-6 with a homer, a run, 2 rbi. What was amazing about him is how ligtening fast he is. I've been to my fair share of baseball games, and I don't know if I've ever seen such a complete player be so quick (guys like Dee Gordon are probably faster).

Was stoked to see him go yard live though.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby GoldRush » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:11 pm

rjforlife wrote:Fair enough. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see, and then in 17 years when he retires with a career high of 21 HR, I'll bring up this thread and gloat about how I was right about Trout. :-b

And he has 21 HR in 90 games....I don't think you'll ever be gloating about this
GoldRush
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 5)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:14 pm

GoldRush wrote:
rjforlife wrote:Fair enough. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see, and then in 17 years when he retires with a career high of 21 HR, I'll bring up this thread and gloat about how I was right about Trout. :-b

And he has 21 HR in 90 games....I don't think you'll ever be gloating about this

lolz
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby rjforlife » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:07 pm

GoldRush wrote:

Ballsy for a 16th post. Make a bold prediction of your own and see how it turns out. It's easy to follow the crowd and agree with everyone. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:32 pm

rjforlife wrote:
GoldRush wrote:

Ballsy for a 16th post. Make a bold prediction of your own and see how it turns out. It's easy to follow the crowd and agree with everyone. ;-D

Haha, especially when they're right... :-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bayside » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 am

GoldRush wrote:

Hahahaha this awesome
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers