Chris Davis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Davis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chris Davis

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 am

I don't really feel like getting into a big deep discussion. so I'll try to keep this brief.

if every LH batter that didn't do as well against LH pitchers was to be in a platoon situation then there would be a bunch of good LH hitters not being allowed to face LH pitchers.
I also totally think baseball is more than just numbers and statistics. confidence and what goes on in players mind is also a part of what happens, and putting a player into a platoon situation isn't always going to be successful because it could effect there confidence overall.
one of the LH batters that comes to mind is Andre Ethier. other than this year he has had multiple seasons when he didn't have very good numbers against LH pitchers. does that the Dodgers should have platooned him long ago?

I like hits better than walks. when it comes to Davis, I like HR (power numbers) over walks, even if that means a high number of K's that go along with that.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I wouldn't worry at all about not taking walks. IMO walks are overrated. walks are nice sure, but I'd rather a hitter HIT. all a walk does is move the batter to 1st base, and nothing else unless 1st base is occupied.

8-o

Dusty, that you?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 23, 2012 1:44 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I like hits better than walks. when it comes to Davis, I like HR (power numbers) over walks, even if that means a high number of K's that go along with that.

Everybody likes hits and homeruns more than walks. Doesn't mean that doing both isn't much more ideal. And it's not just the walks themselves that make them so useful to look at. Aside from the increased times on base, leading to more chances to score runs, it also indicates that a hitter can work themselves into good counts, and get good pitches to swing at. Look at all the guys who put up huge HR and strikeout totals; all of them can take a pitch. Dunn, Pena, Reynolds, Stanton, etc. All of them have over a 10% walk rate since 2009. If Davis sticks at around 5% he'll be picked apart by MLB pitching. Those guys I listed sit at 20-25% for their o-swing% (% of balls that they swing at outside the zone) while Davis is at almost 40%! Nobody throws strikes to him and he still chases absolutely everything.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby bayside » Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I wouldn't worry at all about not taking walks. IMO walks are overrated. walks are nice sure, but I'd rather a hitter HIT. all a walk does is move the batter to 1st base, and nothing else unless 1st base is occupied.

taking walks is about more than just your "hit vs walk" argument.
When a batter or team is good at taking walks it means the pitcher is throwing more pitches, working harder, and will be out of the game sooner. Starting pitchers got their job becasue they are the best pitchers... tire them out and/or get them out of the game early and your team has a better chance to score.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 pm

I have no problem with a batter working the count and taking pitches outside and waiting for their pitch to hit. but that doesn't mean they should be waiting and waiting specifically trying to take a walk, and not swinging when they get a pitch to hit because they want to walk.

I think walks can be great for the right types of batters. example your 1st and 2nd place batters would be great if they could get a high number of walks in order to be on base for the heart of the order. but that's not Chris Davis. I don't think it benefits the Orioles for Davis to be looking to walk.

I also have to go ahead and totally disagree that starting pitchers are the better pitchers and you want them out of the game sooner. no. I bet my left nut there are relief pitchers who are better in relief than back of the rotation starting pitchers. there are relief pitchers who are great at what they do because they can do it with less types of pitches, compared to starting where you need more type of pitches to fool the batters seeing them multiple times through the order.
I don't know where specifically to find bullpen ERA. but on yahoo stats page for example Baltimore has an ERA of 2.49 in innings 7+ but an ERA of 4.13 in innings 1-6. I would think that means Baltimore has better relief pitching than starting pitching, so I would think you want to see their starting pitchers more often.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:08 pm

And maybe a good time to bump this discussion too... The way he's hitting, he deserves two threads all his own on the first page.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers