Chris Davis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Davis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chris Davis

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 16, 2012 5:55 am

He was never highly touted as a prospect, he was just hyped to no end after his first two partial seasons in the majors.

If you want to see a highly touted prospect that was washed up by age 24, look at Travis Snider. He couldn't cut it in the majors. He's two years younger than Davis and although success isn't impossible, I don't think anybody expects much from him at this point. And I don't see any resemblance of Nelson Cruz to Davis. Other than neither of them being any good at age 25, but that's not exactly an exclusive club.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 174)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 16, 2012 7:24 am

bayside wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:people might have been saying the same thing about Jose Bautista back in 2010.
May- .287/.422/.766/1.188/ 12 HR
June- .179/.324/.369/.693/ 4 HR

I'm not saying watch out Chris Davis is the next Jose Bautista, but I do think he has high potential. low risk, potentially high reward.

I likely wouldn't be owning him in a standard league, but I wouldn't write him off as if everything he did in April was a mirage.

no, Bautista never had any of the prospect hype that Davis had.
so whenever he had a hot month everyone just wrote it off as exactly what it was - a hot month.
Nobody ever thought he would amount to anything special fantasy-wise.

Davis on the other hand was supposed to be the second coming of god himself. whenever he had a hot month everyone used to think "oooh he finally figured it out!"
and for some reason, lots of people still do.
but he hasnt, and most likely never will, become that guy.
We have very different recollections of Chris Davis' prospect status I think. After his 80 Game stint in the Majors in 2008, there was hype for him to continue to rake in 2009. Beyond that, though, I agree 100%. Since then, it's been a gradually declining hope that one day he could recapture it a bit. He never has. Ever. Any time he isn't completely terrible, people seem to think "hey, maybe this is it!" but the reality is that in all likelihood, this dude is just never going to be anything more than he currently is.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby converge241 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 am

converge241 wrote:"it's like Deja Vu, all over again"

;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby machine3 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Don't look now, but Davis has multi-hits in 4 of the last 5 games. Not sure what to make of him.....

.......I just hope he doesn't make me pick him up again... :-o
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby converge241 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

You will lose your "Chris Davis Free" coin if you relapse

They hav support meetings every wednesday here at the cafe
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Re: Re: Chris Davis

Postby garf112 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:27 am

converge241 wrote:You will lose your "Chris Davis Free" coin if you relapse

They hav support meetings every wednesday here at the cafe

But it feels so good!
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 42)

Postby NZ Eff » Tue May 22, 2012 2:45 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:Davis has serious pop but the problem has always been his high K rate and low BB and inability to hit lefties. For that reason he is a true platoon player but one that must be rostered while he stays hot. I doubt he keeps the BA over .300 but can hit 25-30 HR's even with only 400 plate appearances. He does look way more relaxed up at the plate this season and for sure has a sweet swing. Reminds of Josh Hamilton actually.

I agree with you on the BA that he probably won't be able to keep up a +.300 pace BUT I disagree with you on the platoon portion of it. While he is a lefty, when he has been hitting well* he has had very good splits against lefties:

2008: .279 v L | .287 v R
2011: .350 v L | .245 v R
2012: .385 v L | .323 v R

*I give the asterisk as your grain of salt. I'm just saying I don't buy that he can't hit lefties as well as righties, especially when he's been shown to dominate in the minors, I doubt his splits were as bad as 2009-2010.

I'm definitely enjoying the ride though, hopefully it keeps on rolling.

Current OBP vs lefties in 2012 is .233. In 30 AB's he has no walks. That says definite platoon player to me.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Izenhart » Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 am

NZ Eff wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:Davis has serious pop but the problem has always been his high K rate and low BB and inability to hit lefties. For that reason he is a true platoon player but one that must be rostered while he stays hot. I doubt he keeps the BA over .300 but can hit 25-30 HR's even with only 400 plate appearances. He does look way more relaxed up at the plate this season and for sure has a sweet swing. Reminds of Josh Hamilton actually.

I agree with you on the BA that he probably won't be able to keep up a +.300 pace BUT I disagree with you on the platoon portion of it. While he is a lefty, when he has been hitting well* he has had very good splits against lefties:

2008: .279 v L | .287 v R
2011: .350 v L | .245 v R
2012: .385 v L | .323 v R

*I give the asterisk as your grain of salt. I'm just saying I don't buy that he can't hit lefties as well as righties, especially when he's been shown to dominate in the minors, I doubt his splits were as bad as 2009-2010.

I'm definitely enjoying the ride though, hopefully it keeps on rolling.

Current OBP vs lefties in 2012 is .233. In 30 AB's he has no walks. That says definite platoon player to me.

That says small sample size to me.

One thing that I'm learning about fantasy is if you look too deep into the numbers sometimes you can fool yourself into thinking a player will regress when he won't. If the Orioles play him every day I think this is going to be his year. It may not be a *huge* season but currently this guy is playable and if you're shallow at third (I drafted Sandoval, Longo and my backup Bonifacio is hurt too) You could do worse than Davis.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 am

I wouldn't worry at all about not taking walks. IMO walks are overrated. walks are nice sure, but I'd rather a hitter HIT. all a walk does is move the batter to 1st base, and nothing else unless 1st base is occupied.

I don't think it's as simple as platooning a player bases on splits. baseball is more than numbers. if it was just numbers it would be easier to predict who would do what. what happens if you platoon Davis and it gets in his head and effects his confidence so that it then effects his RH numbers in a negative way? it might not hurt to sit him against some tough lefties, but if you sit him all the time against left handed pitchers then I don't think he will ever become the player he is capable of.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 23, 2012 9:23 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I wouldn't worry at all about not taking walks. IMO walks are overrated. walks are nice sure, but I'd rather a hitter HIT. all a walk does is move the batter to 1st base, and nothing else unless 1st base is occupied.

I don't think it's as simple as platooning a player bases on splits. baseball is more than numbers. if it was just numbers it would be easier to predict who would do what. what happens if you platoon Davis and it gets in his head and effects his confidence so that it then effects his RH numbers in a negative way? it might not hurt to sit him against some tough lefties, but if you sit him all the time against left handed pitchers then I don't think he will ever become the player he is capable of.

There's few statements over the years I've agreed with less, top to bottom, than this one.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers