Would This Be Sound Drafting Strategy (Rotisserie)? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Would This Be Sound Drafting Strategy (Rotisserie)?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would This Be Sound Drafting Strategy (Rotisserie)?

Postby Fantasizer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm pretty new to fantasy baseball and I've found out that it pretty addicting (at least for the first couple months). I enjoy using different methods to draft my rotisserie teams (I personally don't care for H2H).

I'm probably not doing anymore leagues this season because... well, I've already drafted too many teams :-). However, I'm thinking about doing one in 2013 where I create a stacked offense with a strong bullpen and leave one position for streaming an SP via daily matchups. The idea would be so I could have a bench with stream-able hitters who could play on Mondays and Thursdays.

Wanted to know if this was a reasonable strategy in a rotisserie league. Any advice?

FORMAT AND RULES:
Yahoo! Sports (Public Leagues)
Auction Draft ($260)
Rotisserie
5 x 5 (AVG HR R RBI SB W SV K ERA WHIP)
12 Teams
23 Roster Positions
C 1B 2B SS 3B OF OF OF UT UT BN BN BN BN BN
SP SP RP RP P P P P
1400.0 IP Limit
162-Game Limit Per Batter Position
NOT A KEEPER LEAGUE

ROSTER FORMAT:

SP1: $10 ACE
SP2: $ 1 ***STREAMER***
RP1: $10 CLOSER #1
RP2: $ 5 CLOSER #2
P: $ 1 CLOSER #3 OR RELIEVER #4
P: $ 1 RELIEVER #1
P: $ 1 RELIEVER #2
P: $ 1 RELIEVER #3

RULES FOR ROTATION ($30)
1) RP1 and RP2 = $15 Combined
2) SP1 Should Have Solid K/9
3) Closers With Good K/9 RECOMMENDED
4) Relievers MUST Have Strong K/9!
5) RP1 and RP2 MUST BE DURABLE!
6) Remember That Additional Closers Can Be Found On Waiver Wire
7) Always keep eye on IP remaining. Possibly slow down in later months and reap my strong bullpen instead.

C: $10
1B:
2B:
SS:
3B:
OF:
OF:
OF: $15
UT:
UT:
BN: $1 BACKUP CATCHER
BN: $1 ***STREAMER***

RULES FOR LINEUP ($230)
1) $230 - $15 OUTFIELDER - $10 CATCHER - $5 BENCH = $200/8 players = $25/player
2) 3 Leadoff hitters (1-2)
3) 6 Cleanup hitters (3-5)
4) 1 Durable catcher, preferably <= $10
5) 1 Player with 40SB potential
6) 2 Players With 20HR/20SB potential
7) 1 Player with IF versatility (RECOMMENDED BUT NOT REQUIRED)
8) Consider the scarcity of C, 2B, SS & 3B
9) Consider players from high-powered offenses (NYY, BOS, DET)
Fantasizer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Would This Be Sound Drafting Strategy (Rotisserie)?

Postby fast dogs » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I like lineup rules 7 and 9.
In a 1 C league I prefer to have a $1 player and find a hot bat after season starts.
In shallow leagues like this, I prefer to go with a stars and scrubs approach, there are just too few starting positions that the FA pool is well stocked with worthy starters for $1
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby MPappadato » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 pm

I like your overall planning- well articulated. Some thoughts:

If you have 162 games per batter, and you plan to use 25/player for 8 of the batters, those lineup spots should be locked in pretty near the 162 game limit. This will minimize the impact of getting bench batters for Mon/Thurs.

Are you getting a strong K/9 closer for $10? You know your league better than any of us- is that a realistic price?

Lastly, while this is extremely well thought out, you need to be able to adjust on the fly. Value is the name of the game, and if value presents itself, you have to be willing to go after it, even if it contradicts your main strategy. But if you play well as you prepare, you'll be well off either way.

Take a look at mine if you get a moment
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=444362
Last edited by MPappadato on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MPappadato
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasizer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:01 pm

MPappadato wrote:I like your overall planning- well articulated. Some thoughts:

If you have 162 games per batter, and you plan to use 25/player for 8 of the batters, those lineup spots should be locked in pretty near the 162 game limit. This will minimize the impact of getting bench batters for Mon/Thurs.

Are you getting a strong K/9 closer for $10? You know your league better than any of us- is that a realistic price?

Lastly, while this is extremely well thought out, you need to be able to adjust on the fly. Value is the name of the game, and if value presents itself, you have to be willing to go after it, even if it contradicts your main strategy. But if you play well as you prepare, you'll be well of either way.

Take a look at mine if you get a moment
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=444362

That is true that most of those hitters should play in about 145-150 games (barring injuries). The idea with this strategy would be to get to 162 games while avoiding the streamed bench players as much as possible. Basically, this team would use all 1400 IP and as much of the game limits for each position as possible.

From my experience, most Yahoo! players are hesitant to spend more than $15 on any closer (other than Craig Kimbrel) because they feel like they can get them off the waiver wire or get guys like Javy Guerra and Brandon League for $5 or less. I like having one reliable guy for $10 to $15 and then adding some cheaper guys along with high-K setup guys like Johnny Venters, David Robertson or Aroldis Chapman.

Adjusting on the fly is definitely important. However, I wouldn't exactly go into a draft with this rough sketch. I'd script out the entire roster that I'm looking at and have plenty of backup options just in case the players I wanted were getting overbid.
Fantasizer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MPappadato » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm

With a 1400 IP limit, most teams are going to hit it fairly easily. You are right to focus on K/9, as K becomes marginalized and you essentially see it being a K/9 league for most teams who adopt the traditional strategy of 7-10 SP. You will be ahead of the game there. Keeping pace in Ws will be the important part. Focusing on the matchups and taking the right streaming options will be important throughout the season. This is definitely not a "set it and forget it" strategy.
MPappadato
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions