Kyle Drabek - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kyle Drabek

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kyle Drabek

Postby mm92280 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:19 pm

I am spot-starting him today in my 20 team H2H keeper league. I know he was a disappointment last year and even got rocked in the AAA PCL when he was sent down there last year but he's a guy that has been highly touted. Has anyone seen him pitch this year? How does he look? I haven't had a chance to see him, only had a chance to see the box scores and read reports.
I've been trying to follow him, as being a 20 teamer, any starting pitcher that displays a pulse is worth watching and possibly picking up.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kyle Drabek

Postby Izenhart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:26 pm

mm92280 wrote:I am spot-starting him today in my 20 team H2H keeper league. I know he was a disappointment last year and even got rocked in the AAA PCL when he was sent down there last year but he's a guy that has been highly touted. Has anyone seen him pitch this year? How does he look? I haven't had a chance to see him, only had a chance to see the box scores and read reports.
I've been trying to follow him, as being a 20 teamer, any starting pitcher that displays a pulse is worth watching and possibly picking up.

I am also spot starting him today and am watching him pitch on mlb tv. He looks on his game, keeping the ball out of the middle of the plate and throwing strikes. The 1 unearned run off him so far was a dropped ball error at first (dropped by Drabek) and a slow rolling double against the shift down the opposite field line. Matusz looks sharp too and has command of his curve today, but is leaving his fastball over the plate a lot. Jays just havent capitalized on that yet.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby Izenhart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:34 pm

And Adam Jones just hit a MAMMOTH shot off a high fastball. 8-o
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:16 pm

2 strong outings to start the season. Consider me intrigued. :-?
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby silverZ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:52 pm

His 2 seamer is looking nasty, and his command is improved from last year. High risk, high reward.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Drabek looks like a completely different pitcher so far this year. The stuff was always there, but he's got different mechanics, a different mindset, and different pitches (focusing more on his 2 seamer and curveball). He's looked great. I still think the most important thing for him is maintaining confidence...particularly through difficult moments and bad starts. If/when he bounces back from a tough inning or outing (which he hasn't had yet), we'll know he's made strides in this area and is ready to pitch at this level.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mkultra » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:37 am

I wouldn't get too excited. Drabek started off hot last year and quickly fell off one of the steepest cliffs I've seen, right back to the minors.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:21 pm

mkultra wrote:I wouldn't get too excited. Drabek started off hot last year and quickly fell off one of the steepest cliffs I've seen, right back to the minors.

Not really. He may have had a good ERA at the start of last year, but he wasn't pitching well at all. He had 10 walks through his first 3 starts with a lucky 1.93 ERA. It was never going to be sustainable as long as he showed that kind of command and control.

I don't know that he'll be able to keep up what he's doing right now, but as I said, he's completely changed everything about him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby silverZ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 am

I dropped Hochevar for him. I like his K upside at this point. I have the option to be very picky with matchups for the time being. I'm going to have him on the bench vs KC so he can prove to me one more time that he's a solid matchup play. He'll never find a way into my lineup vs a top 10 lineup.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:35 am

Drabek starting falling back into his old ways tonight. Began overthrowing everything and lost the mechanics that he had in the previous two starts.

Not a good sign...not at all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers