Why is this site dead, and where to go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is this site dead, and where to go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why is this site dead, and where to go?

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:55 am

I love the site, but I do agree with the OP to an extent. Sometimes it seems like the content could be condensed into 2 or 3 forums instead of the 7 or 8 that we have. When Leftovers only has 2 or 3 threads that have been posted to in the last 90 minutes, you can reasonably say that we're a little slow. Why not expand leftovers to include injuries and player updates and simply do away with that forum altogether. Significant injuries and call-ups usually end up getting a thread in leftovers anyway, so to me it wouldn't be a significant change. Ideally, there would be about 10 or 12 threads in any given forum that have seen a new post within the last hour during normal internet time.

I can understand one forum for discussion of broad strategy etc. (leftovers) and one forum for discussion of individual transactions (dtkw), but sometimes I think the criticism that the site is spread thin has some merit.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:11 am

Or you could just click view new posts and not worry about forum hopping. You could also mark all topics read before you log off so that when you log back in you know exactly what's new since you were last on. It's a interactive experience. ;-D
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:25 am

Snakes Gould wrote:I know for me personally, and quite possibly other veterans who arent as dedicated as GiantsFan and H0rt, is that you eventually burn out. A few years ago, i did multiple money leagues, the cafeholics league, several Cafe dynasty leagues, along with being a diehard fan and occasional sports bettor, and at the end of the year it became tiring. I took a year off and cut down my leagues and now i have the passion again.

I've burned out a few times. Twice I've pared down to just my NL keeper league that I've been in for 15 or so years and have cut out all other leagues. A few times I've taken a year off from betting. I turned to fantasy football a few times and still do more football leagues than baseball just because they take up so much less time. I'm back to a few more leagues now and can keep up on almost all teams. I try to do only weekly leagues now because churners piss me off and I hate leagues where 30 seconds after F Rodriguez teaks something on the mound Jon Rauch gets picked up. I've got kids and can't watch 7 games at a time. Those leagues are what burn me out.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:28 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:I love the site, but I do agree with the OP to an extent. Sometimes it seems like the content could be condensed into 2 or 3 forums instead of the 7 or 8 that we have. When Leftovers only has 2 or 3 threads that have been posted to in the last 90 minutes, you can reasonably say that we're a little slow. Why not expand leftovers to include injuries and player updates and simply do away with that forum altogether. Significant injuries and call-ups usually end up getting a thread in leftovers anyway, so to me it wouldn't be a significant change. Ideally, there would be about 10 or 12 threads in any given forum that have seen a new post within the last hour during normal internet time.

I can understand one forum for discussion of broad strategy etc. (leftovers) and one forum for discussion of individual transactions (dtkw), but sometimes I think the criticism that the site is spread thin has some merit.

People have been suggesting this same thing for years, I have no idea why we still have so many redundant forums.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby brock middlebrook » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I love the site, but I do agree with the OP to an extent. Sometimes it seems like the content could be condensed into 2 or 3 forums instead of the 7 or 8 that we have. When Leftovers only has 2 or 3 threads that have been posted to in the last 90 minutes, you can reasonably say that we're a little slow. Why not expand leftovers to include injuries and player updates and simply do away with that forum altogether. Significant injuries and call-ups usually end up getting a thread in leftovers anyway, so to me it wouldn't be a significant change. Ideally, there would be about 10 or 12 threads in any given forum that have seen a new post within the last hour during normal internet time.

I agree. splitting the forums into too many subcategories has really hurt this place.

mod edit
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby k.k. » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

One thing I like about the RotoWorld Forums over the Cafe here are the season pages for particular players. I like an organized thread to add to the outlook and season a player has. It's a little all over the place here at the Cafe, although the info is still out there.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:02 pm

k.k. wrote:One thing I like about the RotoWorld Forums over the Cafe here are the season pages for particular players. I like an organized thread to add to the outlook and season a player has. It's a little all over the place here at the Cafe, although the info is still out there.

That is nice if you want to talk about one player, but I personally enjoy reading broader topics that people start up. And while some may say that this place isn't 'hopping' because the threads aren't piling in, I think a place is 'hopping' when there's a deeper, thoughtful dedication to a smaller array of threads. When I click on a thread here I want to read every post, whereas in other places one usually gets a bunch of "I'm gonna drop him", period, or "Yeah I traded him for so-and-so, lolz", period.

I agree, quality over quantity. And probably less forums ... if more threads in one location are what people want.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby 4Pack » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 pm

brock middlebrook wrote:

I agree. splitting the forums into too many subcategories has really hurt this place.

mod edit

That is exactly the reason I have pretty much stopped coming here. Just too much of a pain to navigate the forums.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ayebatter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 pm

4Pack wrote:

That is exactly the reason I have pretty much stopped coming here. Just too much of a pain to navigate the forums.

Dude you haven't posted for 2 years, how in the world did you find this thread. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1262)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers