Why is this site dead, and where to go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is this site dead, and where to go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why is this site dead, and where to go?

Postby BigLaBellski » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Not sure how many of you guys were around back 4,5, even 6 seasons ago, but it absolutely seems that activity has significantly slowed in recent years. This place used to be a goldmine for great baseball talk. I used to religiously use the Minors thread as an advanced scouting tool. It helped to enable me to land guys like Weaver, Lince, Braun, and Hamels in years past. Nowadays that entire forum is dead.

The Leftovers forum is really the only one worth a look.
High and Tight Y'all!
BigLaBellski
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 pm

I think it's because we are not even two weeks into the season.

So what are the discussions that people have (who should I trade???, Should I cut this guy????) are way too early at this point.

No one is reasonably trading players of consequence right now, nor are they making any meaningful add/drop picks.

The only thing that happens in the first two weeks of the year that matter are:
1. Mistakenly early trades
2. Solid, timely free agent pickups.

So, by all means, post about topic #2, but I think a lot of the reason people post won't really start happening for another couple weeks when we get closer to May and people can really see where they are strong/weak in a category or position.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 pm

you could add to the conversations in the other threads, or start your own topics... I don't understand how people who don't post in over a year can complain there aren't enough people posting :-/

We are putting out articles daily (thanks RJ & others ;-D ) ; putting the venting thread here has increased traffic in leftovers ; our games are up and running ; there are incentives to posting, writing and being a helpful cafe member; we are on facebook and twitter ... what else should we do?

The season is two weeks old, your team isn't as bad as it's been so far (unless you're Aussie), nor is it as good as it's played so far. No Josh Willingham can't keep it up, neither can Matt Kemp, and Pujols and Batista will rebound. Heck, even Bobby Valentine has a chance to turn it around.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm

BigLaBellski wrote:Not sure how many of you guys were around back 4,5, even 6 seasons ago, but it absolutely seems that activity has significantly slowed in recent years. This place used to be a goldmine for great baseball talk. I used to religiously use the Minors thread as an advanced scouting tool. It helped to enable me to land guys like Weaver, Lince, Braun, and Hamels in years past. Nowadays that entire forum is dead.

The Leftovers forum is really the only one worth a look.
If anything I think we've seen a steady increase over the last 2 to 3 seasons. It was a much different place in 2006, and I'm not sure we've taken a step backwards as we've just changed in general. This place is far from 'dead', though, and there's plenty of extremely intelligent regular and fantasy baseball discussion, excellent articles... Hell, we have several different members who put together wonderful projections and rankings beyond the scope of what plenty of other places could dream of.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:47 pm

bigken117 wrote:you could add to the conversations in the other threads, or start your own topics... I don't understand how people who don't post in over a year can complain there aren't enough people posting :-/

Srsly. This never ceases to baffle me. It seems like every guy who comes in here bemoaning the demise of the Cafe fits this bill too ... :-?
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:17 pm

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Who doesn't love a good Neitzsche quote on a fantasy baseball forum?
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:53 pm

bigh0rt wrote:This place is far from 'dead', though, and there's plenty of extremely intelligent regular and fantasy baseball discussion, excellent articles... Hell, we have several different members who put together wonderful projections and rankings beyond the scope of what plenty of other places could dream of.

Agreed. I'm willing to take the advice of the more knowledgeable people here more so than some of the "expert" sites because it's worked out in the past. I will agree that the Minors section is very quiet. There are a couple members here who are experts on the minor leagues but the discussion is not vibrant. I would try Minorleagueball for that; the community is tops in my book for prospect hunting. Although I will say they can be a bit anti-fantasy at times.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Tavish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 pm

I think the problem with the minor league section for me is that there really is much insight on the high level players that couldn't be found by reading scouting reports directly from the scouts. Most of the discussion is what people's opinion is of a scout's opinion.

What I do find it useful for is to sometimes bring a player to my attention that I hadn't really looked at before. I use that to go off and look for the more in-depth scouting reports.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby garf112 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 pm

I would say most people only care about the top maybe 20 or so prospects and only the ones that can be fantasy relevant soon. A lot of minors talk happens in leftovers. Not a lot of folks have huge minor league systems it seems. I know our league only has one prospect per team and some of those are playing in the majors now.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby k.k. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:19 pm

TopChuckie wrote:
Also Rotoworld's, though theirs can be a little more tedious. Sometimes too much activity isn't a good thing either.

Exactly. Perfect example is the Cafe's closer thread vs. Rotoworld's. Ours here stays more or less on topic. Rotoworld's is filled with endless useless comments specific to each poster's particular team rosters. You have to weed through 5 pages (or much more) in a half day just to find a semi useful nugget of info.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers