K A Z U O M A T S U I - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

K A Z U O M A T S U I

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

K A Z U O M A T S U I

Postby vtbos » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:47 pm

What are your predictions on Kazuo Matsui's performance this season?
vtbos Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:49 pm

run a search for Kazuo, kazuo matsui or matsui in the cafe and find out!
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:50 pm

h e w i l l b e d e c e n t
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:51 pm

KolbSaves wrote:h e w i l l b e d e c e n t

classic
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sportznow » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:54 pm

or Kaz...
but ill hook u up with some numbers...

AB - 615
Hits - 184
RBI - 82
HR - 18
R - 97
SB - 23
BB - 43
SO - 78
AVG - .300
SLG - .415
OBP - .345
sportznow
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:07 pm

no way he hits 18 HR. Hideki hit alot more HR's in japan then Kaz, and hideki only hit 16 his rook year. Kaz will prob. be a top 6-7 SS
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hyde » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:18 pm

My Kaz $hitsuey prediction

.268 avg
75 runs
6 hr
45 rbi
23 sb
.323 oba
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:03 pm

I have him as a backup SS to Jeter on my fantasy team. I will play him on Jeters off days. I do not care what his numbers are as long as he does not hurt my batting average. If he hits .280-.300, I will be happy.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:10 pm

He's my backup for Nomar, 10th round pick. so I'm tossing him into the fire. I hope the hype is at least halfway right. I'll be praying for a 300/80/15/80/20 avg/r/hr/rbi/sb season.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Leshikusu » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:12 pm

Im sure if you get on the net and look around, you will see the stats... e.g batting over 300 the last 7 seasons in a row, gold glover, all star , usually steals over 30 bases a season(except for last year) and all of that other stuff.

I have been here in Japan and have seen Kaz play alot over the last 5 years. Let me explain a few things.

Regarding Kaz vs Hideki

Statistically Hideki had better power numbers because Hideki played for the Giants. The Tokyo Giants are the "Yankees" of Japanese baseball whereas Kazuo played for the Seibu Lions. Hideki was always able to score alot of runs and put up great power numbers because
i) He had awesome run support and he was not often pitched around

ii)The Tokyo giants have most of Japans best pitchers on their team..(the ones that havent left for the majors yet anyway), so Hideki never had to face good pitching consistently

iii) Hideki played all of his homegames at the Tokyo Dome, which is clearly a hitters park

This is why Hideki only hit 17 homeruns last year. Hideki has actually put on quite a bit of size over the last season so I expect him to hit around 25 this year.

Now for Kaz. He played for one of the weaker teams in Japan and faced alot of good pitching, i would have to say of a higher quality on average than of what Hideki faced.

Kaz didnt have any run support and played at the much bigger Seibu Dome

I would say that if Hideki had to play out hiis career for the seibu Lions, his numbers definately would not be what they were at the Giants.

With all this in mind, i would say that Kaz will produce power numbers similar to those of Hideki when he arrived, except add a few more average points to Kazuo, alot more stolen bases and hardly any errors. Basically he fields and runs like Ichiro and bats somewhere between both of them. Ichiro has always batted 1+2 spot, Hideki has always batted clean up, Kazuo has been used in all 4 opening spots throughout his career.

Kaz has also had the advantage of watching and learning from the problems hideki suffered.

as far as numbers go, I would say that the numbers given to you buy mr sportznow are pretty accurate, something along the lines of

AB-610
hits-180
rbi-80
Hr-21
sb-26
avg-300+

I dont really understand why there are people who think he will struggle without ever seeing him play. Sure he had a crappy spring, but he had stitches in his finger for god sake and had an interuupted preparation. Dont ignore his last 7 seasons in Japan(as well as going to the Olympics and his outstanding numbers against the touring Major league allstar team 18 months ago), on the strength of one ordinary month in March.

Hideki struggled when he arrived, and he batted 287.
Ichiro didnt struggle when he arrived and was the MVP.

Even if kazuo does struggle, he will give you good numbers, and if he doesnt struggle, then look out.

Oh, and just a general note to anyone who checks out Japanese season statistics, please note the the Japanese season is only 140 games long!!

Hey, I just found some cool stats. Go to the official MLB site, and look under "events" for the 2002 mlb all stars japan tour. Check out Kazs number`s. Kaz went 12 for 26 including 2 HRs (switch) in game 6.
Leshikusu

Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers