2012 Buy Low/Sell High - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:17 pm

bayside wrote:In keepers are u guys buying or selling Justin Upton?

If selling, what are some names (pitchers or hitters) that youd be looking to get back in a 1 for 1?
If buying, what kind of offers are u throwing out there?

I've got Upton in a keeper and I won't deal him for anything less than a #1 ace SP. I'm currently stacked on hitters so I'm looking to pick up an ace to hold down my staff down the stretch, but you won't pry him off my hands for anything other than a top of the line starter: Kershaw, Verlander, Cain, etc...
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giambiformvp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:19 pm

My offer of my Cole Hamels for his Justin Upton was rejected (redraft)
giambiformvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Is anyone trying to sell high on Chris Sale? I'd think he'll come down to earth a bit in the 2nd half, and if the ChiSox implode over the next couple of months they could limit his innings in September. What type of quality would y'all look for in return?
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby m16a » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Thoughts on Trumbo for the second half? I'm thinking about trying to do some sell high to a team looking for power...
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bayside » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 am

AngryMonkey wrote:

If selling, what are some names (pitchers or hitters) that youd be looking to get back in a 1 for 1?

I've got Upton in a keeper and I won't deal him for anything less than a #1 ace SP. I'm currently stacked on hitters so I'm looking to pick up an ace to hold down my staff down the stretch, but you won't pry him off my hands for anything other than a top of the line starter: Kershaw, Verlander, Cain, etc...

This is almost exactly how i felt as well.
BUT:
I have Upton in a "keep 8 players" keeper league where he can be kept as a 4th rounder next year...
Having a monster offense, Im getting desperate for a stud SP after numerous injuries and figured it would be easy to swap him for a legit ace.
well one guy has all of hamels, kershaw, and greinke and he wont trade any of them straight up for Upton.
another guy has Verlander and Weaver and he also told me he wont do a 1 for 1 for either of them.
a third team, in last place, has both CC (cant be kept) and Cain (4th round), and even he declined on both counts.
That leaves only a couple guys I can realistically target and I dont know if its just my league that values Upton so low or if his trade value has actually fallen that dramatically across the board.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:18 am

bayside wrote:or if his trade value has actually fallen that dramatically across the board.

I think it's this. He has underperformed this year, and because of that, his trade value right now is only cmparable to a #2 SP, not a top-of-the-line ace, in my opinion. I think you need to be looking in the area of Baumgarner, Cueto, CJ Wilson, RA Dickey or Gio Gonzalez.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:05 am

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:Is anyone trying to sell high on Chris Sale? I'd think he'll come down to earth a bit in the 2nd half, and if the ChiSox implode over the next couple of months they could limit his innings in September. What type of quality would y'all look for in return?

I guess his overall numbers may slip just a tad, but the guy is friggin nails. He throws hard but has good control, and his slider is one of the best pitches in the game right now, with Dickey's knuckler, Kimbrel's fastball, Strasburg's curve, and a few others. If you can sell for something like Kinsler or better, I'd think about it, but don't go settling for Nelson Cruz or anything like that.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:16 pm

rjforlife wrote:
disgruntledjetsfan wrote:Is anyone trying to sell high on Chris Sale? I'd think he'll come down to earth a bit in the 2nd half, and if the ChiSox implode over the next couple of months they could limit his innings in September. What type of quality would y'all look for in return?

I guess his overall numbers may slip just a tad, but the guy is friggin nails. He throws hard but has good control, and his slider is one of the best pitches in the game right now, with Dickey's knuckler, Kimbrel's fastball, Strasburg's curve, and a few others. If you can sell for something like Kinsler or better, I'd think about it, but don't go settling for Nelson Cruz or anything like that.

and strasburgs change and strasburgs fastball.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:36 pm

bayside wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:

This is almost exactly how i felt as well.
BUT:
I have Upton in a "keep 8 players" keeper league where he can be kept as a 4th rounder next year...
Having a monster offense, Im getting desperate for a stud SP after numerous injuries and figured it would be easy to swap him for a legit ace.
well one guy has all of hamels, kershaw, and greinke and he wont trade any of them straight up for Upton.
another guy has Verlander and Weaver and he also told me he wont do a 1 for 1 for either of them.
a third team, in last place, has both CC (cant be kept) and Cain (4th round), and even he declined on both counts.
That leaves only a couple guys I can realistically target and I dont know if its just my league that values Upton so low or if his trade value has actually fallen that dramatically across the board.

Well if that's your situation then I'd sit on Upton and wait for him to rebound. You're not doing yourself any favors by compromising and trading him for less than his value. Just think, if he was having 'a normal season' he'd be at .300 - 15 - 50 - 50 - 15 right now, maybe even better.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:29 am

m16a wrote:Thoughts on Trumbo for the second half? I'm thinking about trying to do some sell high to a team looking for power...

He is right up there with LeHair and Dunn as the mandatory sell high guys for me. It will shock me if he is a top 150 player in the 2nd half.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers