2012 Buy Low/Sell High - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:26 am

Sounds like a terrible deal. Rasmus is worth more than Josh Johnson. You could get somebody better and more reliable, IMO, especially since you're including Broxton.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 am

Skin Blues wrote:Sounds like a terrible deal. Rasmus is worth more than Josh Johnson. You could get somebody better and more reliable, IMO, especially since you're including Broxton.

I'd call it close. I'm Personally holding onto Rasmus in all leagues because I believe the power is real. He hit a ~450 foot bomb last night against a leftie and has been on a tear for a month. He can also chip in 10-15 SB over a season, and hits 2nd in a great lineup in a good homepark/division for a left handed hitter. It wouldn't surprise me if he finished .270 30-15. JJ still has ace upside, so it's not a bad deal if you needed pitching, you just can't count on him being healthy. Throwing Broxton in was a little bit overboard, but who cares if you don't need the saves?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am

Yeah he has serious power. The homers are not scraping the top of the fence, that's for sure. Last night he hit one off the facing of the upper deck. I haven't even seen Bautista do that yet. Only ones I remember hitting them up there were Joe Carter and Jose Canseco. Hitting the way he is, and with his speed and the lineup he's in, I'd need a lot more than an injury prone underachieving pitcher in return for him.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby silverZ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:01 am

Skin Blues wrote:Yeah he has serious power. The homers are not scraping the top of the fence, that's for sure. Last night he hit one off the facing of the upper deck. I haven't even seen Bautista do that yet. Only ones I remember hitting them up there were Joe Carter and Jose Canseco. Hitting the way he is, and with his speed and the lineup he's in, I'd need a lot more than an injury prone underachieving pitcher in return for him.

Last Bluejay to hit one into the 500 level was Vernon Wells in 2003. Jayson Werth did it a couple years ago as well. 8-)
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby thatguy27 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:55 pm

We've seen hot streaks from Rasmus like this before. He tends to be pretty streaky so I wouldn't be surprised if we see a prolonged slump or two at some point this season.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby GoldRush » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 pm

My top 3 Buy Low guys are:
1. Eric Hosmer - A HUGE babip victim with a clip of .243, with the same LD% as last year, showing that his low batting average so far is pretty flukish. Combine that with the fact that he doesn't strike out that much, and he should be atop a lot of people's buy low list. He's had a steady climb in batting average and is flashing a little speed to go with it (6 SB's since the beginning of June). Take his top prospect pedigree and an excellent rookie season into account when projecting final number. I could see a .300/40/10/40/10 line from here on out

2. Desmond Jennings - He's been a little bit unlucky this year (.280 BABIP, about 15 points below league average), paired with an injury that sidelined him for a few weeks. But he has a career high 20.7% LD rate and is starting to come on as of late. His speed is always there, so I could see a line of .275/50/8/25/25 from here on out.

3. Ryan Zimmerman - Started the season on the worst slump of his career. He's been bothered by inflammation in his right shoulder and missed time earlier this season because of it. Ever since he received a cortisone shot in the shoulder to help ease the pain/discomfort, he's been crushing the ball, seeing his .218/.305/.590 line jump to .241/.366/.668 over the course of 8 games. On top of that he's always been a 2nd half producer and the cortisone should keep him healthy and not bothered by the shoulder till the off-season. Buy him now while you still can. I project .315/40/15/50/2 from here on out.
GoldRush
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:46 pm

GoldRush wrote:My top 3 Buy Low guys are:
1. Eric Hosmer - A HUGE babip victim with a clip of .243, with the same LD% as last year, showing that his low batting average so far is pretty flukish. Combine that with the fact that he doesn't strike out that much, and he should be atop a lot of people's buy low list. He's had a steady climb in batting average and is flashing a little speed to go with it (6 SB's since the beginning of June). Take his top prospect pedigree and an excellent rookie season into account when projecting final number. I could see a .300/40/10/40/10 line from here on out

2. Desmond Jennings - He's been a little bit unlucky this year (.280 BABIP, about 15 points below league average), paired with an injury that sidelined him for a few weeks. But he has a career high 20.7% LD rate and is starting to come on as of late. His speed is always there, so I could see a line of .275/50/8/25/25 from here on out.

3. Ryan Zimmerman - Started the season on the worst slump of his career. He's been bothered by inflammation in his right shoulder and missed time earlier this season because of it. Ever since he received a cortisone shot in the shoulder to help ease the pain/discomfort, he's been crushing the ball, seeing his .218/.305/.590 line jump to .241/.366/.668 over the course of 8 games. On top of that he's always been a 2nd half producer and the cortisone should keep him healthy and not bothered by the shoulder till the off-season. Buy him now while you still can. I project .315/40/15/50/2 from here on out.
I have all 3 of these putzes on my main team. I hope you're right. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 am

Is there a statistical proof that he is not a victim of defensive shifts, and well located pitches, that forces him to make bad contact?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:

Is there a statistical proof that he is not a victim of defensive shifts, and well located pitches, that forces him to make bad contact?
Over the last 2 weeks he hasn't been.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby GoldRush » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:

Given that his LD% and HR/FB% are roughly the same as last year, I don't think it's weaker contact that has hurt him this year. However, the shift has been hurting him and here is a link that describes his struggles (but still proves he's been unlucky)
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... -laggards/
GoldRush
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers