2012 Buy Low/Sell High - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am

I know we are only just over a week into the regular season but I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the Cafe's thoughts on who we should be targeting for a potential bargain or we should be looking to get rid of. Yeah, I also know this should probably belong in the Trade forum but we get a lot more traffic over in the Leftovers.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 Buy Low/Sell High

Postby silverZ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 am

Buy low:

Grienke - there might be an owner out there that will panic after yesterdays 7 run inning. I still believe he'll end up as a top 5 SP.

Sell high:

Cespedes: The power looks to be real, but he will be lucky to hit above .250. Once the league figures him out it's going to be an ugly couple of weeks/months until he adjusts.

Chris Perez: If you're not desperate for saves I think you should trade him before he implodes and loses the job to Pestano.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 pm

BUY LOW:

HANLEY RAMIREZ -
I'm a firm believer that you should do anything and everything to get Hanley Ramirez on your team asap at his cheapest value. He's bound to have a HUGE rebound and his 3B/SS flexibility is a beautiful thing. I say BUY LOW on Hanley while you still can.

JACOBY ELLSBURY -
Another buy low candidate is Jacoby Ellsbury. Remember, he was hitting a lowly .182 last year through the first 17 games... And you all know what he ended up doing the rest of the year. He's still a safe bet to go 20/40 for you this season.

TIM LINCECUM AND JOSH JOHNSON -
Two other buy low candidates for pitching are Tim Lincecum, and Josh Johnson. Both have had 2 god awful starts and they may need to be sitting on your bench until you see a positive start from both of them, but there has to be managers out there frustrated that their "ace" is looking like crap and you might be able to lowball them right now and get them at a much cheaper price.

SELL HIGH: (I'll just give a list of guys that I would sell high on because they are playing a little over their heads right now)

Carlos Pena
Josh Willingham
Austin Jackson
Omar Infante
Kyle Lohse
Jake Arrieta
Bruce Chen
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Buy low: Josh Johnson
Sell high: Rafael Furcal
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby benb18a » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Just offered my D Hudson/T Hunter for his L Morrison/Greinke :-o
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Izenhart » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm more in the mood to sell low and buy high this year, I don't know why.

Josh Johnson and Tim Lincecum I'd sell low. I own JJ but not Linc on any teams

Willingham is a guy I'm buying high. Just made a trade for him, giving up Cespedes straight up. I probably could have got more from the Cuban Bull, but I'm a believer in Willingham and he might have a career year.

Carlos Pena I'm selling high.

David Freese I'm buying high, but not too high.

I'd buy low on Ellsbury but his price was too inflated to begin with. He needs to come down some more.

Ike Davis I'm buying low. Ditto for Alex Gordon and Hanley Ramirez.

I got to watch Matt Moore pitch and was not impressed at all with him. I'm shopping him around before he implodes.

That's all I got for now :-°
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby silverZ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:47 pm

May I ask what you saw from Moore that makes you think he's going to be brutal? I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering it was snowing at times during his first start.

Ellsbury just ran into a wall again. If it turns out the injury isn't serious you might be able to get him cheaper than usual.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 pm

silverZ wrote:Ellsbury just ran into a wall again.

I'd honestly feel a lot safer with him wearing a batting helmet in the field, a la Olerud. When you run as fast as he does and have a tendency to crash into things a little padding wouldn't hurt.

With Moore I just saw nothing but fastball after fastball, his breaking pitches have little movement, but the movement is late, so when he's on he will get K's but when he's not I think he's going to get hit hard. I saw little in the form of offspeed stuff. He's going to need a better mix of pitches to be successful. His fastball is straight and he doesn't have great command of it (through 1 start I know) but he does hide the ball well. i just wasn't overly impressed with anything he did, he looked mediocre to me, someone the league should figure out very quickly. I hope I'm wrong though. I haven't seen anyone post a negative thing about the guy yet. Maybe my expectations were a bit high on what I was expecting to see. I'll be watching his next start against the Red Sox closely.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Maris09 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the selection of mostly fastballs in the early innings from Moore was planned and intentional. Maybe they knew something about how Detroit hitters were going to attack him.
He was also pretty close to only giving up 1 run over 7 innings to Detroit in Detroit. Didn't see anything I didn't like from him other than a few too many walks. Early in the year that can be expected though.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 pm

LaHair! 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager