4 scrub closers, but you can only choose one. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4 scrub closers, but you can only choose one.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:35 pm

matmat wrote:herges is not a scrub... uinfortunately for him nen may be back sooner rather than later.

I'd probably pick up herges for now and if/when nen comes back reassess the situation. if you don't like that solution then I'd probbly take mesa... I think he is more likely to bounce back than koch.

right on

rotoworld wrote:Billy Koch gave up two more runs yesterday, and manager Ozzie Guillen may be souring on him a bit.
"There are a couple more days to go [in spring training], and I'd like to see him get better," Guillen said. "Right now we have a lot of options in the closing role, but he's still the man. I'm not going to lose confidence in this kid. We'll see what happens during the season." With Koch not showing much, Damaso Marte's stock is back on the rise. Cliff Politte has become a sleeper.

stay away from Koch
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:47 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Against that division don't expect too many leads. No leads=no save opprotunities=no saves.

Milwaukee and Pittsburgh were two of the best, if not the #1 and #2 clubs to provide save opps last year. So being good doesn't mean getting a lot of save opps.

I, for one, will be very suprised if Mariano Rivera surpasses 35 saves.

Because of injury or not enough save opp?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:49 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Because of injury or not enough save opp?

with that lineup there will not be too many 9th innings with less than a 3 run advantage.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baseballer02 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:50 pm

Zito is God wrote:Because of injury or not enough save opp?

Not enough save opps.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Jury » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:52 pm

I'd throw them into a hat and pull one out - they each have their ups and downs and are bottom end closers at this point.

And I HIGHLY doubt that Marte will become the closers this season because he's too valuable a pitcher to save until the ninth inning.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby metsfan05 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:38 pm

Mesa has a "not available" label on him in Yahoo. He might have retired or something.

I would go with Herges, at least early. When Nen comes back, then come up with a new plan.
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

uhm

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:40 pm

metsfan05 wrote:Mesa has a "not available" label on him in Yahoo. He might have retired or something.

I would go with Herges, at least early. When Nen comes back, then come up with a new plan.

according to rotoworld the pirates just purchased his contract from AAA and he will close for them.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NZF » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:56 pm

Mesa will be available on Yahoo in the next few days and he is definitely the best bet out of the 4 considering only Herges and him start the season closing and Herges may get limited save ops before Nen gets back.

Mesa may be old but he has always been a conditioning fanatic so he will be ready to go. His ERA and WHIP could be ugly but if you need the saves he could get you 30.

Remember, for all the anxiety he gives you as a closer, he has still averaged 37 saves a season over the last 3 years.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers