First Timer w/ Pitching Questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

First Timer w/ Pitching Questions

First Timer w/ Pitching Questions

Postby jdh2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 am

I am trying to understand the logic behind the relief pitcher spot on my roster. I currently have 2 closers (Nathan & League), but I've heard that using starters who qualify as relievers is a better strategy. Is this the case? If so, should I attempt to scoop up guys like Luebke & Samardzija off waivers?

My current pitchers are:
Halladay, Billingsly, Kennedy, Bumgardner, Worley, Zimmerman, Duffy, Nathan, and League.
jdh2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First Timer w/ Pitching Questions

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm

It really depends on your league setup and scoring, as well as the starting positions available on your roster. Shoot that info over and we'll have a better idea of if that'd be something you'd want to look into. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby jdh2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 am

This is a head to head league. We start 5 starters & 2 relievers. The point system is:
-1 per BB, HA, ER, HB
3 per each inning
.5 per strikeout
-5 per loss
3 per QS
7 per save or win

I'm thinking about dropping someone to grab luebke & smardzija. I'd start League or Nathan as my closer along with either Luebke or Smardzija...depending on who has 2 starts that week. Is that a decent strategy?
jdh2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fantasydraftstrategy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Sounds like you've been checking out my blog. You're right on the money in my opinion.
http://www.fantasydraftstrategy.com -- Winning a championship starts with the draft. Stick with us all season long for fantasy updates. Check out our Fantasy Team & Trade Evaluator at http://www.fantasydraftstrategy.com/fantasy-team-trade-evaluator
fantasydraftstrategy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:59 pm

jdh2 wrote:This is a head to head league. We start 5 starters & 2 relievers. The point system is:
-1 per BB, HA, ER, HB
3 per each inning
.5 per strikeout
-5 per loss
3 per QS
7 per save or win

I'm thinking about dropping someone to grab luebke & smardzija. I'd start League or Nathan as my closer along with either Luebke or Smardzija...depending on who has 2 starts that week. Is that a decent strategy?
With IP being worth as much as it is, yes I would definitely be throwing as many SP out there as possible.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 am

7 points per save

3 points per IP

If this is the case you need to project how many of each category you think category you are gonna get.

In this case you should assume 200 IP (600 points) or 40 saves (280 points).

As you can see, there is really no competition and you should absolutely get every single IP you possibly can. Even if your closer does extremely well and gets 50 saves, thats only 350 points in this league. A starting pitcher would only need 117 IP to beat that, and thats not even counting the wins they will be getting to go along with it.

Absolutely load up on starting pitching if those are the rules. If you have a SP with RP eligibility (like Samardzija, Sale, Bard, etc.), then you have hit a gold mine with these settings.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby peterr77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:38 pm

ounds like you've been checking out my blog. You're right on the money in my opinion
peterr77
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Beginner's Forum