Who is going to keep this up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is going to keep this up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who is going to keep this up?

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:09 pm

mkultra wrote:
CharlatanSin wrote: A guy like LaRoche isn't going to do anything he hasn't done before, but I can't name 5 NL first basemen or 12 MLB first basemen who I'm expecting to have a better year, can you?

Pujols
Miggy
Votto
Fielder
AGonzo
Tex
Santana*
Napoli*
Konerko
Hosmer
Young*
Davis
Lind
Sanchez

(* = qualifies at 1B, but you're probably playing him somewhere else)

That doesn't even include guys whose upside could put them well ahead of LaRoche this year as well:
Morales
Morneau
Trumbo
Dunn
Pena
E5*
Goldschmidt

I agree with you that in an NL-only league he's an interesting play, but there's plenty of mixed-league talent who won't be riding the pine come June.

I don't count your starred guys who probably aren't at 1B, but that's a matter of preference. The only thing I'll mention, why would he ride the pine in June? When Morse comes back, he's playing OF. So unless you think the great Mark DeRosa can unseat him, LaRoche will be hitting in the middle of that lineup all year.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:39 am

CyboNinja wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote: And an over/under of 180 hits for the leadoff hitter of the Tigers isn't really that high.

A typical leadoff hitter in the AL averages 680 AB. The tigers leadoff guy will exceed 700 AB.

If Jackson is healthy and gets 700 AB, 180 hits will give him a sub .260 BA.
Then bet under on his avg. .260 is a lot lower then the .285 I offered. If you really feel he bats .260, this bet should be a no-brainer for you. Don't be afraid, its only $$$.

Sure, I'll bet a random stranger from the internet. How much do you want to bet? $250k? $5 million?

You would be laughed at if you said that BJ Upton or Rickie Weeks would hit .300 for the same reason for you are being dismissed for this ridiculous statement.

People that strike out 175 times a year don't hit .300. It's not mathematically feasible.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:35 am

but I can't name 5 NL first basemen or 12 MLB first basemen who I'm expecting to have a better year, can you?

Fair enough, 1B isn't very deep. Taking out the multi eligibility guys here is where I feel LaRoche really fits.

Sure fire better guys - Pujols, Votto, AGon, Fielder, Teix, Konerko, Hosmer, Butler (8)
Guys I think are likely just as good but may have more upside - GoldSchmidt, Freeman, Davis, Dunn, Pena, Lind, Sanchez (7)
Guys I think are riskier but could out produce him - Smoak, Morneau, Morales, Gamel, LeHair (5)

So pulling a ton of multi eligibility guys out of the mix I think he is somewhere between the 14th and 21st best 1B. He is a CI in 12 team league but not a really strong one. That has value comsidering he was more or less free but I'm just not excited by him. He should be owned in 12 team mixed leagues for sure.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 am

Ender wrote:Freese - Good upside if he stays healthy though I still think he only has 20 HR power.
Jackson - Don't expect much difference from previous seasons
Bonifacio - Probably drafted around where his upside is, bunch of speeds, adequate runs and nothing else.
Pena - Yawn, but power is scarce so worth owning.
Infante - Only worth owning in deep leagues
Encarnacion - If he plays every day he is pretty valuable
Schafer - Could be a 10 HR, 40 SB guy but again with mediocre R and hurt you in RBI/AVG so it really caps value
LaRoche - Has never been more than a filler, don't expect it to change at his age
Furcal - I doubt he puts up a full good season.

Pretty much all of these guys should be owned in 12 team mixed leagues even if it is only as a depth player on the bench. Not very many of them have top 8 round upside though imo. If I had to guess the best of the bunch I'd probably go with Encarnacion and Freese at this point.

Not too bad, sure was wrong about LaRoche though!
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers