Picking up Guthrie - Who to drop or demote? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Picking up Guthrie - Who to drop or demote?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Picking up Guthrie - Who to drop or demote?

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 am

I am picking up Guthrie for his start today vs SF.

To do so, I need to make room on my Roster.

I can either drop Joel Peralta or Helton, or temporarily demote Hector Santiago to my Farm Team since he qualifies as a rookie according to our league rules.

First, both Peralta and Helton are on my bench and will only start when one of my other RPs or 1Bs are off for the day and they have games. It is likely that they will get picked up on waivers since we are a 16 team big roster league.

If I demote Hector to my farm team, I can do so for one day only, possibly losing his 10pts if he saves a game during his time on the farm. Starters who win and go 5-6 innings typically score between 20-25pts. If Guthrie pitches well then I will have to decide once again which to drop out of Joel Peralta or Helton in order to bring Santiago back up to my starting roster.

Hope that makes sense...

So, drop Peralta or Helton, or temporarily demote Santiago?
Last edited by FantasySportsMaven on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Picking up Guthrie - Who to drop or demote? WHIR

Postby converge241 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 am

I would cut Perlata, I liked him to close but Rodney got that W and 2 SV and now he has momentum AND perception on his side to keep the job

If youre worried at all that Rodneys not going to hold it and Perlata will get his shot theres no harm in cutting Helton

id save that send down of Santiago

viewtopic.php?t=443914
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GAC8666 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 am

I demote Santiago. I would hate to lose Peralta with the situation so fluid in TB for the closer spot. I think worst case when Farns gets back he is the set up man (dont know if Holds is a stat) and best case Rodney goes all "Rodney" on it and goes crazy and Peralta is back closing games.

CWS play Cle today.. Masteron (CLE) has been dynamite against CWS in his last 4 starts against them with an ERA under 2.0 so you would roll the dice that Santiago would not get a save chance. (I'm sure I just jinxed it)
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks for the help!
Have Rodney too.
Holds are 4 pts. Saves are 6pts.

Looking like temporarily demoting Santiago is the sneaky play?
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5050 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 am

I'd say drop Peralta, because Farnsworth will be back in about 3-5 weeks, and Rodney seems to already have a hold on the closing role for now. And if Guthrie plays well, you'd have to drop someone anyways, and I dont think you'd want to drop Santiago with that screwball of his.

Hope this helps.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GAC8666 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:24 am

My thought with demoting him is that it buys you some time to see what will happen in TB with the closer role. Santiago wont play every day and obviously you are rolling the dice with the save chances. This way you can see by the time Guthrie pitches again how TB closer situation looks.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jruffus1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks for the feedback.

In your situation, I would temporarily demote Santiago. Why lose a player to the WW when you could only lose another for a short while.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 68)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions