Better rookie-ish SP: Henderson Alvarez vs. Drew Pomeranz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better rookie-ish SP: Henderson Alvarez vs. Drew Pomeranz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better rookie-ish SP: Henderson Alvarez vs. Drew Pomeranz

Postby Fantasy GM » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 am

I've heard a bit about both of these young SP's but do not know a whole lot about them. Alvarez (63.2 IP in 2011) isn't technically a rookie anymore, but this will be his first full season. He doesn't post high K numbers, but his other numbers seem to be good. High innings + good control + not many K's = Mark Buehrle-type? Meanwhile, Pomeranz is the prized arm from the Ubaldo trade. He does strike people out and had an ERA under 1.00 in ST. However, he will be pitching at Coors.

I would think Pomeranz is the better keeper, but who does better in 2012?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better rookie-ish SP: Henderson Alvarez vs. Drew Pomeran

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:57 am

I personally think Alvarez is a pitch or ditch type player, just too hard for someone with that skillset to provide enough value in the AL East. Pomeranz is intriguing so I'd probably go with him. I'm pretty confident I could get Alvarez's stats out of a random mix of guys like Narveson, Capuano etc.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Yeah, Alvarez is a more polished pitcher with lower upside. Pomeranz has the higher upside but I don't think he's as polished as Alvarez yet. Wouldn't surprise me to see Alvarez with the better year but that will probably be because Pomeranz just has a crappy year instead of Alvarez having a really good one.

Polish, already at or near what he is and is going to be, low upside = Alvarez

A little more raw, higher upside, may have more rough outings "this" year = Pomeranz
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Alvarez is the better real life pitcher, Pomeranz is probably better for fantasy. At least for this season. Alvarez won't get a lot of Ks, but he's very efficient. He also faces 4 pretty good offenses in a bunch of hitters parks. Pomeranz at least has the Padres, Giants and Dodgers (and their parks) to play against all season. Plus a pitcher instead of DH. He won't light up the K/9 category either but he should keep the blowouts to a minimum and can be benched for tough assignments at Coors. Alvarez just doesn't get enough friendly matchups to warrant keeping him rostered all season, in my opinion.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby Shiti Field » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:14 am

Skin Blues wrote:Alvarez is the better real life pitcher, Pomeranz is probably better for fantasy. At least for this season. Alvarez won't get a lot of Ks, but he's very efficient. He also faces 4 pretty good offenses in a bunch of hitters parks. Pomeranz at least has the Padres, Giants and Dodgers (and their parks) to play against all season. Plus a pitcher instead of DH. He won't light up the K/9 category either but he should keep the blowouts to a minimum and can be benched for tough assignments at Coors. Alvarez just doesn't get enough friendly matchups to warrant keeping him rostered all season, in my opinion.

Very well said.

Alvarez has gotten glowing reviews from the experts. Gammons said he was the most impressive pitcher in the Grapefruit league. Ravech said Alvarez was the best pitcher throwing the other night when he faced the Sox. He just pitches in a hitters park in the AL in the toughest division in baseball so he's going to have tough matchups all year. Put him in the NL and I bet his value would skyrocket.
Shiti Field
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 am

I definitely agree with what the others have said. My post was just looking at the fantasy aspects. Alvarez is a good pitcher in a bad situation who has a bad fantasy baseball skillset. Kind of like how Porcello is a much better pitcher than a lot of other guys who are worth owning instead of him in fantasy baseball.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers