Mystery League Member - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mystery League Member

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mystery League Member

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:08 pm

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever encountered this problem, and if so what you did about it.

I'm running a 12 team Yahoo Plus league. One of the teams in the league chose to keep its email address hidden when he/she signed up, and the yahoo screenname this person has set up gives no clue as to his identity. I have tried several times to email him from the "Email League" option, but never get a response (if he is on AOL, its possible these emails are just going straight into his spam folder, but who knows). He has made no moves since the draft several weeks ago, and he obviously hasn't paid for his portion of the league fee. I have emailed Yahoo and called their customer care line to leave requests that they inform me of his contact email, so that I can get in touch with him directly - but no one from Yahoo ever gets back to me.

Since this was an invite-only league, and none of the other league members know who this person is, I am pretty positive it must be someone who I personally invited. (I even sent out a mass email to everyone who was originally invited, but that didn't solve it either.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?? How can I find out who this is???
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:15 pm

Hey LeiterFan,

Any chance it is someone who owns two teams in the league? I wouldn't want anyone to know who I was either if that were the case. Just a thought, besides that I don't know why someone would do that, or how to prevent it. Owning two teams would obviously raise some ethical concerns.

- slomo007
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:36 pm

slomo007 wrote:Hey LeiterFan,

Any chance it is someone who owns two teams in the league? I wouldn't want anyone to know who I was either if that were the case. Just a thought, besides that I don't know why someone would do that, or how to prevent it. Owning two teams would obviously raise some ethical concerns.

- slomo007

I would really hope not, considering the other 10 players (besides myself obviously) are all friends of mine. Good thought, though.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

hmm...

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:40 pm

I would just lock this manager completely. They can feel free to contact you if they wish to get their team back.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shpuck » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:33 pm

Another option. When you sent out the Mass e-mail, did you ask for the person in question to contact you? If so, they may have ignored it. You can send another mass e-mail requesting everyone to respond back to you that it ISN'T them. This way, you can at least narrow it down from EVERYONE you mass mailed a smaller group of people. If you lock the manager, you pretty much have a gimme team for any given week.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:36 pm

is this h2h or roto?
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shpuck » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:39 pm

Good point matmat. If it's H2H, then locking wouldn't be good but if it's ROTO, then blocking would be a good option provided you don't identify the person.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:42 pm

shpuck wrote:Good point matmat. If it's H2H, then locking wouldn't be good but if it's ROTO, then blocking would be a good option provided you don't identify the person.

that's what I was thinking...

the other thing to look at, if it is H2H, is if there is some way to restructure the season so that everyone gets to play this guy the same number of times, and if that is the case then you can lock him/her out. Just need to use a number of weeks divisible by 11 for the regular season, I believe...
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:01 pm

matmat wrote:is this h2h or roto?

Its Head-to-Head
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:03 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
matmat wrote:is this h2h or roto?

Its Head-to-Head

how many weeks is the regular season?
matmat
General Manager