Starting a New League Questions - Newbie Help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Starting a New League Questions - Newbie Help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting a New League Questions - Newbie Help!

Postby edytwinky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 am

This will be my group of friend's first forray into fantasy baseball. Decided to give it a try after having played fantasy football for so many years.

I had a few questions, I was hoping you all could help me with.

1.) We currently plan on "allowing roster changes on monday". Does this mean on Yahoo that owners can ONLY obtain new free agents off the wire on this day?

2.) If so, would it be best to increase our bench? Currently we have 9-10 hitters (trying to decide on 1 or 2 utility players) and 8-9 pitchers. Current bench is at 5 (default).

3.) On the pitcher settings, there is a Starting Pitcher, Reliever, and All Pitchers option. We are assuming the all pitchers can be either a starter or reliever? What's a typical league use for their pitcher roster setting?

Thanks in advance for any help.
edytwinky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Starting a New League Questions - Newbie Help!

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 pm

This will be my group of friend's first forray into fantasy baseball. Decided to give it a try after having played fantasy football for so many years.

I had a few questions, I was hoping you all could help me with.

1.) We currently plan on "allowing roster changes on monday". Does this mean on Yahoo that owners can ONLY obtain new free agents off the wire on this day?
===================
You can set waivers to run on certain days. I would do Sunday night. The players won would go into effect on Monday. If any Free Agents are picked up during the week, it is OK. The roster changes just do not go into effect until Monday. I would also limit the roster changes during the week to something like 5. This way guys can't go crazy changing their rosters in a week.

2.) If so, would it be best to increase our bench? Currently we have 9-10 hitters (trying to decide on 1 or 2 utility players) and 8-9 pitchers. Current bench is at 5 (default).
==================
Your active players are fine. I would just use one Utility. The bench at 5 is good also.

3.) On the pitcher settings, there is a Starting Pitcher, Reliever, and All Pitchers option. We are assuming the all pitchers can be either a starter or reliever? What's a typical league use for their pitcher roster setting?
===================
I would just use the All Pitchers. This way each Owner can decide if he wants more Closers (Relievers for Saves) or Starters. It gives more freedom to set the rosters.

I hope you enjoy your first league. It is something that is great fun. If after your first year, you get the hang of things, try doing a Daily League next year. That is when you can do roster changes everyday instead of weekly. It gives everyone something to do everyday instead of once a week.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 pm

1: if you are allowing players to be picked up anytime once they clear waivers, you can add players any day of the week but you won't start getting their stats till the following Monday. bigmck's answer is if you leave players on waivers all the time and have that as your only means of adding to your roster...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby edytwinky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 pm

So what does the Yahoo's "allow roster changes mean"

Is that referring to transaction date or when people can set their starters and move players to bench?

I don't see an option on Yahoo to run waivers on Sunday .
edytwinky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby edytwinky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Let me rephrase the question:
When setting the "allow roster changes" to "Weekly on Monday", does this mean a team can only make changes to their starters and bench players on Monday or does this mean the only day transactions allowed are on Monday?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
edytwinky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 pm

edytwinky wrote:Let me rephrase the question:
When setting the "allow roster changes" to "Weekly on Monday", does this mean a team can only make changes to their starters and bench players on Monday or does this mean the only day transactions allowed are on Monday?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can make changes to your roster all through the week, but they do not take effect until Monday. You could change your 3B three times during the week but who ever you have as 3B on Monday is the one that gets stats for the following week.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Return to Commissioner's Corner