Off to a fast start...help me keep it going...[Always WHIR] - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Off to a fast start...help me keep it going...[Always WHIR]

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Off to a fast start...help me keep it going...[Always WHIR]

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:08 am

Hope you guys had a great holiday weekend!

So despite my slow start last week...I ended up winning 7-2-1 and am actually in 1st in my league (for all that means after week 1...LMAO).

12 team Yahoo H2H league with a few stat geek categories replacing the standard. We can swap out hitters and pitchers on a daily basis with no limit, so Aviles has extra value as he can fill in off days for 3 positions and frees up my bench for pitching (and my ridiculous risk of drafting 2 players that ended up on the DL).

Also I start 2SP, 2RP and 4 additional P. So I can start 8 pitchers daily and just need to make sure at least 2 are SP and 2RP. This will make streaming very valuable if I need it, but I want to give Niese and Hughes several weeks to show what the are before I think about dropping them.

Hitting: R, TB, RBI, OBP, NSB (Net Stolen Bases) [as you can see R, TB OBP and NSB replace H, HR, AVG and SB]

Pitching: IP, SV, Ks, ERA, WHIP (IP replaces W)

My Roster:
C- Mike Napoli
1B - Prince Fielder
2B - Rickie Weeks
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - Arod
OF - Brett Gardner
OF - Melky Cabrera
OF - Peter Bourjols
UT - Yoenis Cespedes
BN - Carl Crawford(DL), Mat Gamel, Mike Aviles

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, James Shields, Chris Carpenter(DL), Dempster, Phil Hughes, Jon Niese, Edinson Volquez

RP - John Axford, Brandon League, Brett Myers

Used my 1st of my 6 moves (until next Monday morning) on picking up Dempster and dropping G Floyd. Are there any other moves you see as must make?

I am extremely tempted to drop Aviles or Gamel for Figgens who is looking like the old Chone...but I lose a lot of flexibility dropping Aviles...and I think Gamel will break out soon.

Do you see any moves that must be made damn the consequences?

F/A Pitchers

-Jeff Samardzija
-Lance Lynn
-Jason Hammel
-Kyle Loshe
-Ricky Nolasco
-Henderson Alvarez

F/A Hitters
-Chone FIggens
-Zack Cozart
-Ian Desmond
-Kelly Johnson
-Chase Headley
-JD Martinez
-Omar Infante

All help is greatly appreciated!

Leave a link and I will hit you back. ;-D
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Off to a fast start...help me keep it going...[Always WH

Postby silverZ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 am

I would drop Aviles for Johnson, and Gamel for Cozart. Figgins is still a bum. I'm in a similar situation with the FA pitchers in my league so I can't help you there.

viewtopic.php?t=443698
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 am

I would absolutely drop Gamel for Cozart. I think Jeter might be done....

Help me in return? viewtopic.php?t=443701
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Figgins is a bum...avoid.

The rest are pretty much speculation moves. Aviles\Cozart\Gamel are nothing special. Kelly Johnson is avg destroyer and extremely streaky. In H2h, I would not get anywhere near him.

That said, H2h without IP limits is a stock traders\streamers paradise (and a complete corruption of the fantasy game if you ask me). Under those rules, pitchers are far more valuable off the bench then the occassional AB by some mediocre MI. I would look to grab Lohse, Henderson Alvarez and/or Samardzija. Esp. given the fact that Hughes was his same old self yesterday, at 20 pitches an inning, unable to put hitters away and gone by the fifth. He is likely to be on the WW in a couple of weeks in most leagues (I hope I am wrong on that one).
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Figgins is a bum...avoid.

The rest are pretty much speculation moves. Aviles\Cozart\Gamel are nothing special. Kelly Johnson is avg destroyer and extremely streaky. In H2h, I would not get anywhere near him.

That said, H2h without IP limits is a stock traders\streamers paradise (and a complete corruption of the fantasy game if you ask me). Under those rules, pitchers are far more valuable off the bench then the occassional AB by some mediocre MI. I would look to grab Lohse, Henderson Alvarez and/or Samardzija. Esp. given the fact that Hughes was his same old self yesterday, at 20 pitches an inning, unable to put hitters away and gone by the fifth. He is likely to be on the WW in a couple of weeks in most leagues (I hope I am wrong on that one).

I am really hoping you are wrong...and there is at least a little evidence that you very well could be. Aside from the return of his velocity and his sharper curve....He really did not have a terrible outing yesterday. Sure the bad pitch to Pena was horrible...and Joyce made him look silly. But I think if Girardi had not outsmarted himself and stuck the worst defender on the team in RF when you are facing a lefty heavy flyball hitting team...and had Andruw there instead...I don't think that play happens that way and the inning ends much faster.

Yes...even given Phil's mistake and Ibanez's mistake...20 pitches an inning is too much. But he got 9 swing and misses yesterday (only happened 3 times last year)...5 on the 4 seamer, 2 on the change and 2 on the cutter...threw 15 change-ups including 2 back to back to Pena which he has never done in the majors.

So I am still hoping that he pitches better than yesterday(both as a fantasy owner and a yank's fan)...but it does not have to be that much better to have plenty of value for my roster.
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Conrax » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:28 pm

If you can stream pitchers, might as well take advantage of it.
I would start with these three (just watch the match-ups):
-Kyle Loshe
Jeff Samardzija
-Lance Lynn

Batters:
I would only do Gamel or Johnson but I wouldn't consider either of these most do I would more likely take a shot on Gamel more then Johnson.

Help with mine:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=443738&p=3502851#p3502851
Conrax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Conrax wrote:If you can stream pitchers, might as well take advantage of it.
I would start with these three (just watch the match-ups):
-Kyle Loshe
Jeff Samardzija
-Lance Lynn

Batters:
I would only do Gamel or Johnson but I wouldn't consider either of these most do I would more likely take a shot on Gamel more then Johnson.

Completely agree. It's all speculative, so there really is no telling. I like Gamel and Cozart's upside more then Johnson's though.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?t=443733

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 pm

TruYankeeFan wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Figgins is a bum...avoid.

I am really hoping you are wrong...and there is at least a little evidence that you very well could be. Aside from the return of his velocity and his sharper curve....He really did not have a terrible outing yesterday. Sure the bad pitch to Pena was horrible...and Joyce made him look silly. But I think if Girardi had not outsmarted himself and stuck the worst defender on the team in RF when you are facing a lefty heavy flyball hitting team...and had Andruw there instead...I don't think that play happens that way and the inning ends much faster.

Yes...even given Phil's mistake and Ibanez's mistake...20 pitches an inning is too much. But he got 9 swing and misses yesterday (only happened 3 times last year)...5 on the 4 seamer, 2 on the change and 2 on the cutter...threw 15 change-ups including 2 back to back to Pena which he has never done in the majors.

So I am still hoping that he pitches better than yesterday(both as a fantasy owner and a yank's fan)...but it does not have to be that much better to have plenty of value for my roster.

Maybe...Hughes has been a disappointment for 5 years running and while he showed some more movement on his curve\slider or whatver it is he throws, his fastball is still straight and he can't seem to put batters away (which is why the pitch count goes high quickly). That to me is more the concern, but we shall see.

As to Giradi, he regails in micro-managing and finding ways to lose, be it walking a guy in the first innining of game 1 to get to Pena, bringing in Clay Rapada (why is he even on the team?). Ibanez, Nunez, etc. Add in Cashman who brings in Stewart over Cervelli? Stewart isn't even a good backup and if Kontos was so valuable, then why not keep him over a stiff like Rapada who is 30+ and never been any good?
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Maybe...Hughes has been a disappointment for 5 years running and while he showed some more movement on his curve\slider or whatver it is he throws, his fastball is still straight and he can't seem to put batters away (which is why the pitch count goes high quickly). That to me is more the concern, but we shall see.

As to Giradi, he regails in micro-managing and finding ways to lose, be it walking a guy in the first innining of game 1 to get to Pena, bringing in Clay Rapada (why is he even on the team?). Ibanez, Nunez, etc. Add in Cashman who brings in Stewart over Cervelli? Stewart isn't even a good backup and if Kontos was so valuable, then why not keep him over a stiff like Rapada who is 30+ and never been any good?

LMAO...I agree on all points.

As for Hughes straight FB...it has always been straight. The reason he was so good anyway in the minors and early on in the majors is he always had that late pop. He supposedly had that pop in ST...I saw a little of that pop yesterday, just not consistantly. But like I said...I hope that this is that start of him settling in and improving.
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions