Hector Santiago or Jonathon Broxton WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Hector Santiago or Jonathon Broxton WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hector Santiago or Jonathon Broxton WHIR

Postby Pav » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Stand pat on this one. Santiago is 24 and on a team with???? A manager with ZERO managerial experience.

He's already let a long ball go. Sure his stats are better(right now) than Broxton but I'll take the sure thing as well.

Broxton has looked sharp. Sure Holland may get some opportunities for saves, but Broxton is the man and on
a better team.

Thanks for your help.
Pav
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby machine3 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:50 pm

I really think this boils down to what you need. Is the guarantee of 1 closer better than taking the chance of either having 2 or none at all?
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dangadd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:08 am

I'm with machine3. It boils down to what you need. Is 1 certain closer enough for you? Do you have other cloers? Or are you better sticking with a chance of having 2 closers (Santiago and Holland). Personally I'd feel safer with the KC situation locked up. Especially since from what I've read there are other RP that could be involved in the CWS situation (Reed? Crain?). I'm leaning towards locking up the KC closer if you can compete with saves from other sources.
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GAC8666 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks for your help with mine.

I think you have to go with Santiago like is being said. He is solid in the closer role for CHW for now IMO. Broxton situation is to up in the air for the deal to go.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 am

I am kind of surprised that everyone thinks Santiago is a safer bet than Broxton. Both have guys breathing down their neck if they struggle. Santiago has never been an elite relief pitcher even in the minors his numbers were just ok. In AA last year he had an 8 K/9, 4 BB/9 and a 3.56 ERA or 3.6 FIP. Hardly dominate numbers that would make you think he is a safe option going forward. Broxton has had one major injury but outside of that he has had elite stuff. His biggest problem is that he walks too many guys. Broxton got hurt in 2010 and it carried over to 2011 he then had surgery and has looked pretty good so far this year. If it were me, I would be all about the high upside guy who has elite stuff and the same floor as the other guy.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby felixthecat011 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 am

I'd go with Broxton, his velocity is back this year. I scooped him up over Holland the day I cut Soria - he's a proven veteran and they didn't bring him in to close.

Plus, I think KC will produce more save changes than the White Sox.
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby baegames » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I made the offer.

He responded: Thornton for Holland. I was ready to decline (I am not sure Thornton is even #2) when Broxton blew up, and I mean blew up, today.

Error, Walk, Walk, Groundout, HBP, HBP - ouch
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 209)

Postby jasonpm311 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Keep Santiago and Holland. Broxton was hitting high 90's, so, he could keep the job for a while. However, Holland's still a good middle reliever for your stats, and he'll obviously be even more valuable if Broxton comes down to earth. Santiago is obviously solidly in the closer's role in Chicago.

Please help: viewtopic.php?t=443980
jasonpm311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions