Time to Panic? Pitching Staff in Shambles Early! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Time to Panic? Pitching Staff in Shambles Early!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to Panic? Pitching Staff in Shambles Early!

Postby Junse19 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 am

Keeper/mixed/salary league. I know its the first week of the season but is it time to make a trade or hit the WW?

Latos got rocked in the 4th inning after a good start. Shields = same deal against the Yankees. Liriano (who I just released) got dumped on by the Orioles yesterday. The only pitchers from my team to pitch well were Ubaldo and Johan. I also have CJ Wilson starting on Monday. There are plenty of free agents out there: Brandon McCarthy, Bud Norris, Henderson Alvarez (2 starts this upcoming week), Chad Billingsley, and someone just dropped Doug Fister (DL).

My pitching staff is as follows:
Mat Latos
Ubaldo Jimenez
James Shields
Johan Santana
CJ Wilson
Trevor Bauer
Shelby Miller
Rafael Betancourt
Sean Marshall
Junse19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Time to Panic? Pitching Staff in Shambles Early!

Postby mpieco » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:19 am

I wouldn't panic...you're basing your reactions on one start. Who cares? If Latos gets rocked for about 3 or 4 consecutive starts, then I'm concerned.

I understand it's a keeper league, but are Bauer and Miller really providing you any value right now? I'd rather have pitchers that will help me now rather than in 1-2 years (ideally both, but the point I'm making is that they won't help this year at all).

And, after Liriano's spring, I would have at least given him 2 or 3 rotation spots to see if he'll do anything. I'm not worried about one start. No matter who it is. Don't be hasty.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:21 am

Don't panic, but I would drop Shelby Miller and pick up Fister, stash him on the DL. Then I'd pick up McCarthy. Don't panic on Latos or Shields. It's 1 start. If they did it in mid-June you wouldn't bat an eye.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Junse19 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks for the help. I agree with Latos. He has been consistent so far. However, I've suffered through Liriano's inconsistency over the last few years which is why I released him. Too many headcase starts and control issues.

I agree with the value of prospect pitchers for the present day, but Miller and Bauer are huge in leagues like this. Their $1 salaries (as rookies) are huge in salary cap based keeper leagues. I will have the two future superstar SPs at low cost for several years.
Junse19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BravesGuy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:06 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Don't panic, but I would drop Shelby Miller and pick up Fister, stash him on the DL. Then I'd pick up McCarthy. Don't panic on Latos or Shields. It's 1 start. If they did it in mid-June you wouldn't bat an eye.

I agree with this.
Don't panic after one start. If they string together 3-4 bad starts then you should start to worry.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:50 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Don't panic, but I would drop Shelby Miller and pick up Fister, stash him on the DL. Then I'd pick up McCarthy. Don't panic on Latos or Shields. It's 1 start. If they did it in mid-June you wouldn't bat an eye.

I agree with this.
Don't panic after one start. If they string together 3-4 bad starts then you should start to worry.

Agreed. No reason to have two minor league pitchers on your roster. Drop one for some guys that will help you now.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby jtsandwich » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Pick up McCarthy, but no need to panic.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions