Rate My 10 Team 5x5 H2H - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My 10 Team 5x5 H2H - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My 10 Team 5x5 H2H - WHIR

Postby Halo Girl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:32 am

I'm in a 10 Team 5x5 H2H league with standard Yahoo categories. How does my team look? Are there any areas where I really need to look to improve? I do have one spot open right now with Crawford on the DL. WHIR

C Wieters
1B Pujols
2B Pedroia
3B Beltre
SS Andrus
OF Bourn
OF Kendrick
OF Bourjos
UTIL Ortiz
UTIL Trumbo
Ben Bonifacio, Boesch
DL Crawford

SP Haren
SP Kennedy
RP Hanrahan
RP Betancourt
P Latos
P Kuroda
P McCarthy
P J.Johnson
Ben Billingsley, Fister
Halo Girl
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rate My 10 Team 5x5 H2H - WHIR

Postby jrab5286 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 am

Overall, you look pretty solid and have a nice balance. Your OF has a bit of room for improvement, but with Carl Crawford eventually able to slot in there, that could be remedied assuming last year was an aberration and not the beginning of a downward spiral. I find Wieters to be a bit overvalued at catcher, but there certainly won't be anyone better on waivers, and the asking price for those better than him is usually too high from my experience with trying to trade for a catcher.

Your pitching is interesting. I think I may be alone in this, but Dan Haren worries me this year. I can't place my finger on why, but I've had that feeling and avoided him in all of my drafts. Kennedy is a stud. Josh Johnson is hit or miss but has good value based on where he's been getting drafted. Kuroda has huge upside...we'll just have to see if the experts are right about how huge of an impact he'll have with New York. I'm pretty big on Pirates pitching this year, as value tends to be there with none of the starters being selected in many leagues. Hanrahan tends to be their only pitcher drafted and I think he'll be solid once again. He'll blow a few, but the Pirates' low-scoring ways will give him TONS of save opportunities.

Overall, I think you look strong. Injuries to your team could be devastating, as you don't have an overly strong bench, but if that's the biggest thing that can be complained about, you're doing well for yourself. I don't think any moves are necessary right now and I'd stay put for now and see where it takes you. 8.5/10 overall.

Best of luck! Here's my interesting, experimental team: viewtopic.php?t=443587
jrab5286
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobsnits » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 am

Overall, your team looks great. While I love your infield, outfield/utility doesn't really stand out. While you have some speed and good average (Bourn and Kendrick), the rest of the guys have decent power, but nothing to write home about. I'd try to pickup some more power, wherever you can (like Pena, if he's available).
Your pitching is my favorite part of your team. While I'm not sold on Latos or Kuroda (new ballpark/league), they're good bets, as are the rest of your pitching. If you are looking for more pitching depth, though, Bedard is available in most leagues, and he's always great when healthy.

I hope that was helpful.
viewtopic.php?t=443685
bobsnits
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby aerrico » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 pm

I think that the team is actually a bit short on power considering you have almost no power from your outfield spots. The leadoff heavy lineup should get you a ton of runs and your team will definitely hit for a solid average, but I'm just not positive if the HRs and RBIs will add up for an 11 man roster. Also, your team seems to be lacking speed / power combo guys and relies more on guys who only produce in a few categories (besides Pujols and Pedroia obviously). I would consider trading a bit of your speed / run production to go get a power bat or maybe a speed power combo in the outfield (some of these guys can be fairly cheap on the trade market and you can afford to take a bad average hitter)

The starting pitching is pretty good because you have a lot of options and I think it's deep enough for a ten team league. I'm not the biggest fan of your top pitcher in Dan Haren, but your staff as a whole is a strength. The relief pitching is not a strength obviously, but this can always be solved on the FA market so good job on not paying for saves. One thing you may want to consider is picking up some of the setup men that are probably on your FA that have great strikeout numbers to help your ratios and your total K numbers. The guys that I would target in a 5x5 league are the guys that have the potential to be closers at some point in the year such as Kenley Jansen, Vinny Pestano, Greg Holland, and Tyler Clippard (not a potential closer persay but amazing periphs).

Hope that was helpful!

viewtopic.php?t=443693
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team